A History of Alcatraz Island: 1853-2008

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2008 - 127 pages
As one of America's most notorious prisons, Alcatraz has been a significant part of California's history for over 155 years. The small, lonely rock, known in sea charts by its Spanish name "Isla de los Alcatraces," or "Island of Pelicans," lay essentially dormant until the 1850s, when the military converted the island into a fortress to protect the booming San Francisco region. Alcatraz served as a pivotal military position until the early 20th century and in 1934 was converted into a federal penitentiary to house some of America's most incorrigible prisoners. The penitentiary closed in 1963, and Alcatraz joined the National Park Service system in 1972. Since then, it has remained a popular attraction as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
The Prisoners of Alcatraz
51
Wardens Guards and Personnel
69
110 Years of Family
93
Native American Occupation National Park and American
115
Copyright

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2008)

Gregory L. Wellman, a member of the Wells Fargo Historical Services Department and the California Historical Society, reveals in these images the role of Alcatraz since 1853. The island's startling transformation comes alive through the photographic collections of the Alcatraz Alumni Association, the Golden Gate National Archives, and other private collections from around the country. This stirring imagery documents the evolution of one of America's most renowned and memorable landmarks.

Bibliographic information