Page images

Ilis re

Upon the breaking out of the rebellion he raised a company which became Company K, 33d Illinois infantry, in which regiment he was soon promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel and then Colonel, and greatly distinguished himself in the Vicksburg campaign, and especially in the assault of the 18th and 22nd of May.

After the capture of Vicksburg his regiment became a part of the 13th Corps, and with it he went to the Department of the Gulf," and participated in the campaigns in Texas and against Mobile.

He returned home in the fall of 1865 and again entered politics, being elected Secretary of the State Senate, Door-keeper of the lower House of Congress, and for two terms as Auditor of Public Accounts of the State of Illinois.

Up to this time he had been noted for his geniality and cheerfulness, and had attained a most enviable position, both socially and financially. He had three promising sons who were his hope and pride. One after the other they died in quick succession and left him childless, hopeless and without ambition. While this great grief was weighing him down, he became involved to a large amount as security for a friend, and all his splendid estate was swept away. At the opening of the Soldiers' Home at Quincy, Ills., he was appointed Superintendent, and while thus caring for his old comrades-in-arms, was stricken with paralysis, and died in the arms of the men with whom he had served. mains lie buried in Oak Ridge cemetery, Springfield, Ills., and not a few who make a pilgrimage to Lincoln's tomb turn aside to stand by the grave of a true friend, brave man and gallant soldier.

Colonel Frank Lynch died at Cleveland, O., February 27th, 1889. Colonel Lynch was born at Ramsay, Ontario, Canada, November 5th, 1836. When seventeen years of age he removed to Cleveland, and upon the breaking out of the war enlisted on the 17th of April, 1861– as a private in the 17th Ohio volunteer infantry. His promotion to Sergeant followed. He was soon promoted to the captaincy of Company G., 27th Ohio infantry, and August 20th, 1861, reported with his company to General Fremont, at St. Louis. With his regiment he participated in the various campaigns in Missouri and Arkansas; thence to Island No. 10, Shiloh, siege of Corinth, Iuka and Corinth, at which last named battle he was severely wounded. He, however, remained with his command and participated in the North Mississippi campaign, and with the troops subsequently transferred to Memphis. With his regiment he veteranized participated in all the sieges, battles and skirmishes preceding the fall of Atlanta, toward the end of which campaign he was again wounded. November 3rd, 1864, he was promoted to the Lieutenant-Colonelcy of his regiment, and with it participated in the subsequent campaigns of the Army of the Tennessee, and finally mustered out at Louisville in July, 1865.

Upon his return to civil life he served as County Treasurer for two successive terms, and filled other positions of trust and responsibility with great credit. In 1864 he married Miss Rebecca Nevins, a most estimable lady, who with her two boys mourn the loss of one of “ the bravest of the brave."

General Joseph Adams Potter died at Painsville, Ohio, April 21st, 1888,

General Potter was born in the village of Potter's Hollow, New York, June 12th, 1816, and had consequently attained the ripe age of seventy-two years at the time of his death.

In early life he moved West and spent several years in Michigan, Illinois and Iowa. When twenty years of age he received an appointment as cadet, but preferred employment in the line of his chosen profession, so accepted a position in one of the Engineer Corps, and was at once placed on duty at Grand River Harbor. From that time on until the breaking out of hostilities he was mainly employed upon the surveys of our Northern Lakes. He entered the service as Captain and Assistant Quartermaster, and in this department rendered most efficient service at Chicago, Jeffersonville, Leavenworth, Santa Fe, San Antonio, Galveston, Nashville, Detroit and other stations; his last one being at New Orleans, where he was stationed during the reconstruction period. He was retired in 1879 with the rank of Major U.S. Army, and Brevet Brigadier-General L'. S. Volunteers. While there was nothing brilliant in his military career he rendered valuable and most effective service, and remained faithful until the end.

Captain George Washington Porter died at Hamilton, Greenwood county, Kansas, December 28th, 1888.

Captain Porter was born near the village of Hopeville, Muskingum county, Ohio, September 18th, 1838, his parents being John R. and Amanda Porter. His early years were spent near his birth-place, at school and clerking in his father's store at Gratiot, Ohio. When but eighteen years of age he began teaching school, but when the war broke out resigned his situation and entered the service as Orderly-Sergeant of Company B, 78th Ohio infantry, in which regiment he was promoted to Lieutenant and subsequently to a Captaincy, and finally as Aide-de-camp on the staff of General Leggett.

After the close of the war he settled at Clinton, Ills., where he was appointed Postmaster and subsequently Inspector in the postal service, in which position he served until May, 1885, after which he purchased a ranch in Greenwood county, Kansas, and there remained until his death,

His remains were interred along side of his father in the family burying ground at Paolo, Kansas, under the auspices of the local Post of the Grand Army of the Republic.

General William Wilson Sanford died at St. Louis, Mo., in February, 1882.

General Sanford entered the service as Major 48th Illinois infantry, in August, 1861. Was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel July, 1862, and to Colonel November, 1862. He was wounded at Shiloh, and some time after his recovery commanded a brigade in Smith's Division of the 16th A. C.

We have been unable to obtain a more extended record of his life and civil services, but he will be remembered by his fellow officers as a most gallant and efficient officer, coupled with social qualities of the very highest order.


General W. T. SHERMAN.


Captain JAMES A. SEXTON, Lieutenant A. H. Mattox, Captain A. T. ANDREAS, Lieutenant THEO. W. LETTON, Colonel W. M. VOGELSON, Captain W. D. E. ANDRUS, Colonel W. J. LANDRUM, Lieutenant C. F. MATTESON, Colonel EDWARD JONAS, Captain F. H. MAGDEBURG, Captain Lewis LAMBERT, Colonel C. C. KELLOGG.

Recording Secretary,

Colonel L. M. DAYTON.

Corresponding Secretary, General A. HICKENLOOPER.

1 reasurer,

Major-General M. F. Force.

« EelmineJätka »