« EelmineJätka »
Provided always, that it shall be lawful for the trustees of any savings bank by whom any such appointment shall be made, given, signed, and executed, or for the survivors or survivor of such trustees, to revoke such appointment by any certificate or other instrument under the hands and seals or hand and seal of such trustees or trustee, attested by two managers of such savings bank, and in such form and under such regulations as shall be directed or required or approved of by the said Commissioners or their officer; and in case of the decease of every such trustee except one, it shall be lawful for the surviving trustee, together with any other trustee or trustees, being not less than two, of the said savings bank, and in case of the decease of all such trustees, or in case all such trustees shall decline or refuse to act, it shall be lawful for not less than two other trustees of the said savings bank from time to time to make, give, and execute an appointment in manner aforesaid, re-appointing the person or persons named in such appointment, or any other person or persons in his or their room or stead, to be the agent or agents of such trustees; and every such certificate or instrument of revocation, and every such new appointment shall be produced to the officer of the said Commissioners by the person or persons named in such new appointment, fourteen days at least before the payment of any sum or sums of money to the person or persons named in such new appointment, and shall remain deposited in the office of such officer.
25. Trustees may draw for the whole or any part of any sum placed to their account by drafts on Commissioners, which shall be endorsed by their officer, and paid with the interest added thereto by cashiers of the Bank.-It shall be lawful for the trustees of any such savings bank from time to time (by any draft or order in writing under the hands of any two trustees of such savings bank, attested by two other trustees or managers or by any two credible witnesses, according to such form as the said Commissioners for the Reduction of the National Debt shall from time to time direct) to require that the whole or any part of the principal sum or sums of money standing in the books of the
said Commissioners to the credit of the trustees of such savings bank shall be paid to such person or persons as such trustees shall from time to time require, being the agent or agents named in some appointment executed under this Act or the said hereby repealed Acts, and lodged with the officers of the said Commissioners as herein before mentioned and then remaining in force, and every such draft or order shall be addressed to the said Commissioners, and upon the same being produced to the officer of the said Commissioners the said officer shall, within five days after the production thereof, upon the back of such draft or order indorse and sign an order in such form as shall from time to time be directed and required by the said Commissioners for the payment of the sum mentioned in the draft or order of such trustees, together with the amount of all interest due on such sum up to the day immediately preceding the day of the date of the order of such officer, and which order of such officer previously to the issuing thereof shall be entered and countersigned by the clerk or other proper officer making such entry, and shall be addressed to the cashiers of the Governor and Company of the Bank of England or Ireland, as the case may be, and such cashiers or one of them shall, upon the production of such order, pay the sum mentioned therein to the person or persons mentioned in the draft or order of the said trustees, and the sig nature of such person or persons, jointly or severally, shall be a sufficient discharge to the said Commissioners and to the said Governors and Company respectively, and all payments made in pursuance of such draft or order respectively shall be deemed and taken to be payments made by the said Commissioners to the trustees of such savings banks respectively, according to the numerical order and priority of date in which the original receipts of money deposited on account of such savings banks respectively shall have been issued to the trustees thereof respectively in manner herein before mentioned.
26. Draft exceeding £5,000 to be signed by four trustees and attested by separate witnesses; draft for £10,000 not to be paid until after fourteen days.-Whenever the sum
to be drawn for by the trustees of any savings bank shall exceed five thousand pounds, the draft or order for that purpose shall be signed by not less than four such trustees, and the signature of each and every of the said four trustees shall be separately attested by at least one manager of such savings bank, or some one other credible person; and any manager or other person attesting the signature of any one of the said four trustees shall not be an attesting witness to the signature of any other of such four trustees: Provided also, that whenever the sum or sums drawn for by one or more drafts by the trustees of any savings bank, or by the trustees of any friendly society, shall exceed the sum of ten thousand pounds, the amount of such draft or drafts (if more than one) shall not be payable by the officer of the said Commissioners until the expiration of fourteen days next after the day when the draft or drafts for such sum or sums shall be produced to the said officer.
27. Officer not to issue in any one day orders for more than £10,000 for the same bank.-Such officer shall be and he is hereby restrained from issuing any order or orders for payment as aforesaid, bearing the same date, upon any one day, on account of the same savings bank, exceeding in amount the principal sum of ten thousand pounds, anything herein before contained to the contrary thereof in anywise notwithstanding.
28. Trustees appearing in person may receive payments of drafts instead of their agents; such receipt of money by trustees in person not to affect any previous appointment of agents-In case any one or more trustee or trustees of any savings bank, who shall have made, given, signed, and executed any such appointment, shall at any time appear in person at the office of the said Commissioners in England or Ireland respectively, and require payment of any sum or sums of money which might be required by the person or persons authorized to receive the same by such appointments, or if any trustee or trustees of any savings bank shall appear in person where no appointment shall have been made, and if such trustee
or trustees so appearing shall produce a draft or order signed by any two or more trustees of such savings bank for any sum under five thousand pounds, or by any four or more trustees for sums exceeding five thousand pounds, no such trustee or trustees being himself or themselves a party or parties who signed such draft or order, and if the identity of the person of the trustee or trustees so appearing shall be ascertained to the satisfaction of the said Commissioners or their officer, it shall be lawful for the said officer to direct payment to be made to such trustee or trustees so appearing of any sum or sums required to be paid by such order or draft, in like manner as if the person or persons authorized by such appointment to receive the same had required such payment, anything hereinbefore contained to the contrary in anywise notwithstanding : Provided nevertheless, that notwithstanding the payment. made to such trustees or trustee appearing in person on the appointment of such person or persons as aforesaid, the appointment shall remain in full force and virtue until revoked by the trustees, as herein before mentioned.
32. How funds of charitable societies, &c., and penny savings banks may be invested.-It shall be lawful for the trustees or treasurers of any charitable or provident institution or society, or charitable donation or bequest for the maintenance, education, or benefit of the poor, or of any penny savings bank within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, to invest, with the approval of the Commissioners for the Reduction of the National Debt, or the Comptroller-General acting under them, and under such regulations as shall be prescribed by them in that respect, the funds of such institution or society, without restriction as to amount, into the funds of any savings bank established under the provisions of the said hereby repealed Acts or of this Act, and also without such approval of the said Commissioners to invest from time to time, if the trustees and managers of such savings bank shall be willing to receive the same, any part of the funds of such institution or society or penny savings bank to the amount of one hundred pounds per annum: Provided in such last
cases the amount of the sum to be invested by any such institution or society or penny savings bank shall not at any time exceed the sum of three hundred pounds in the whole, exclusive of interest.
33. How friendly societies duly enrolled, &c., may invest. It shall be lawful for the trustees or treasurers of any friendly society legally enrolled or certified in the manner required by the Acts in force relating to friendly societies to invest any sum of money the property of such society, without restriction as to amount, into the funds of any savings bank established under the provisions of the said hereby repealed Acts or of this Act, and which shall be willing to receive the same, under such terms and conditions as shall be specially provided for that purpose by the rules, orders, and regulations of such savings bank.
34. Receipt of trustee, &c., of any charitable society, penny savings bank, or friendly society, deemed sufficient discharge. The receipt of the treasurer, trustee, or other officer for the time being of any such charitable or provident institution or society, penny savings bank, or friendly society, for any money paid according to the requisition of such treasurer, trustee, or other officer apparently authorized to require such payment, shall be a sufficient discharge for the same, and the savings bank paying such money, and the trustees, managers, and officers thereof, shall not be responsible for any misapplication or for any want of authority of the person or persons requiring or receiving payment of such money.
35. Members of friendly or charitable societies or penny savings banks not liable to disability in those societies by subscribing to any savings bank under this Act-No person who is or shall be a member of any friendly society established or to be established under and by virtue of any Act or Acts relating to friendly societies, or a member of any of the charitable institutions or penny savings banks hereinbefore mentioned, shall, by reason of such person being or becoming a depositor in any savings bank taking the benefit of this Act, be considered as subject or liable to any penalty, forfeiture, or disability declared, or expressed