Page images

General Dodge :-The following members of our Society are appointed as the General Sherman Statue Committee, under the resolution passed to-day.

Colonel J. F. How, St. Louis, Mo.
General J. W. Noble, Washington, D. C.
Colonel D. B. Henderson, Dubuque, Iowa.
Major S. E. Barrett, Chicago, Ills.
Colonel W. McCrory, Minneapolis, Minn.

General Dodge then declared the Twenty-third meeting of the Society of the Army of the Tennessee adjourned, to meet in St. Louis at a date in 1892 to be hereafter fixed.

The committee appointed to prepare a Memorial to Colonel L. M. Dayton, submit the following:


During the war no man except General Sherman was a more familiar figure to the Army of the Tennessee than our friend and comrade Colonel Dayton. In the field the two were always side by side. In peace, Colonel Dayton, being the Recording Secretary of the Society of the Army of the Tennessee, always appeared at our reunions with General Sherman. Colonel Dayton began as an aide de camp with General Sherman at Shiloh and was by his side and wrote many of his orders in the field all through the war. It is not necessary, therefore, to speak of Colonel Dayton's military services. Turn to General Sherman's Memoirs and “L. M. Dayton, Captain and aide de camp” appears signed to many of the orders quoted. So long as Sherman's Memoirs shall be read the name of Dayton will live.

We all knew General Sherman, and from what we knew of him we know that unless Colonel Dayton had been an officer of the highest possible ability and efficiency he would not have been where he was all through the war, from Shiloh to the review in Washington in May, 1865. We know that Colonel Dayton was where he was and remained there because General Sherman knew of no better man for the place.

General Sherman asked for nothing for himself, and he looked



upon his military family as belonging too closely to himself to ask for anything for them His staff officers suffered from this modesty. Colonel Dayton was not a self-seeker, and he was promoted only once ; and he was not promoted then until General Sherman's corps commanders went to him at Savannah and asked personally that he should recommend Captain Dayton for a promotion similar to that which they had asked for officers at their own headquar

It was, in fact, upon the recommendation of the representative men of the whole of Sherman's army that Dayton was made Lieutenant Colonel and Assistant Adjutant General.

In civil life Colonel Dayton was a successful manufacturer. His success in business bears out the evidence furnished by his military career that he was a man of high executive ability. He was for twenty-five years a prominent figure in business and social life in Cincinnati. He was for some time President of the Society of Army and Navy Officers, in Cincinnati, and he was one of the charter members of the Ohio Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion.

Lewis Mulford Dayton was born in St. Lawrence county, N. Y., June 20th 1835, and died at Cincinnati, Ohio, May 18th, 1891. From what we know of him we may safely say that in his last thoughts the Army of the Tennessee held the foremost place.

He was a good soldier and a good citizen, a true friend and an agreeable companion. He was easily the gayest of the gay, wherever he was. He was an agreeable companion in the field, “where life comes close to nature," and he was an agreeable companion here in “God's country,” surrounded by the comforts of civilization. His agreeable nature did not depend upon the accessories of civilization. He was gay, pleasant and agreeable when there were only “wood and water." His was a warm hand to grasp, and his hand was warm and his grasp firm because his heart was full of rich, warm, true blood.

"Sunshine was he in the winter day,
And in the midsummer coolness and shade."

Farewell, dear, gallant comrade!



General Edward Hatch died at Fort Robinson, April 11th, 1889.

General Hatch was born at Bangor, Me., December 22nd, 1832, and moved to Muscatine, Iowa, in 1855, where he was engaged in the lumber business when the war broke out. He was first commissioned as Captain of Company A., 2nd Iowa cavalry, August 12th, 1861, promoted to Major, September 5th; to Lieutenant-Colonel, November 11th, 1861; and finally to Colonel, September 10th, 1862. He was actively identified with the cavalry movements of the Army of the Tennessee, winning especial praise for his gallant conduct at luka, Booneville and Corinth, leading to his promotion to Brigadier-General, April 28th, 1864, and Brevet-Major-General, December 14th, 1864.

He again distinguished himself at Franklin and Nashville, and in the pursuit of Hood's defeated army.

After the close of the war he was appointed Colonel of the 9th V. S. Cavalry, with which he was actively engaged in the various Indian wars of the West.

Captain Wm. T. Prunty died at St. Louis, Mo., July 12th, 1889.

Captain Prunty was born near Bardstown, Nelson county, Ky., August 17th, 1838, the eldest of seven children of Robert and Ann Heavenhill Prunty. He lived with his grandfather on a farm until about sixteen years of age, when he accompanied an uncle to Mississippi, where he remained two years. In 1857 he moved to Graysville, Ill., where he was engaged as a clerk until August, 1862, when he entered the army as First Lieutenant of the 87th Illinois Infantry. December, 1863, he was promoted to Captain, and with the regiment served his full time of enlistment, being mustered out at Helena, Ark., June 16th, 1865. Returning North he became a traveling salesman for a Cincinnati house until February, 1877, when he went to Olney, I11., and engaged in the firm of Prunty & Jolly until 1883, during which time he served as Mayor of the city, and subsequently represented Richland, Clay and Wayne counties in the 34th General Assembly, being one of the one hundred and three who elected our old commander, General John A. Logan, United States Senator. For three years previous to his death he was a confirmed invalid, but always strong in his advocacy of the soldier's cause.

General John Henry Hammond died at St. Paul, Minn., April 30th, 1890.

General Hammond was born in the city of New York, on the 30th day of June, 1833. After receiving the benefits of an ordinary school education he drifted westward, and, at the outbreak of the civil war, was a citizen of California. He at once espoused the Union cause by entering the service as Second Lieutenant, B. Co., 5th California Infantry, and soon thereafter became Acting Assistant Adjutant-General on the staff of General W. T. Sherman, then commanding the Department of Kentucky.

November 17th, 1861, he was appointed by the President, and commissioned Captain and Assistant Adjutant-General, and assigned to duty with General Sherman, with whom he served until June 29th, 1864, during which period he received his successive promotions of Major, Lieutenant-Colonel and subsequently Brevet-Brigadier-General. He accompanied his chief in all his campaigns from the battle of Shiloh to the siege of Atlanta, constantly growing in efficiency until he was entrusted with the exercise of all the authority and power that could be vested in his office. Subsequently assigned to the command of a cavalry brigade, he displayed marked ability in his new field of usefulness, sustaining in every particular the enviable reputation he had already acquired, retiring from the service with the rank of Brevet-BrigadierGeneral.

In civil life he was as successful as during his military career, and in dying had the comforting assurance that his wife and children would be left in a condition of independence.

A brave and skillful soldier, an honest, earnest and faithful citizen, a devoted husband, father and friend, with his life work well done, he has gone to his final rest, and with him goes the love, confidence and respect of his comrades of the Army of the Tennessee.

General Clinton Bowen Fisk died at New York City, July 9th, 1890.

General Fisk was born at “Calpps Corners” now called Griegsville, a little country cross-road in Livingston county, N. Y., on the 8th of December, 1828.

Two years later the family moved to Lenawee county, Michigan, where the father died in 1832, leaving a dependent widow with six children.

At nine years of age Clinton was apprenticed to a farmer named White, for whom he worked seven years, then becoming a clerk in a store at Manchester.

When but nineteen years of age he married Miss Jeannette A. Crippen, who bore him two sons and a daughter.

He soon became a partner in the firm with which he had been connected.

In 1858 he removed to St. Louis, where he became western financial manager of the Ætna Fire Insurance Company of Hartford, Conn. He there assisted in the organization of the Union Merchants Exchange and subsequently served it as Secretary. In 1862 he was authorized by the body to recruit and organize a regiment for the Union army of which he was commissioned Colonel. In October he · was ordered to leave this regiment—the 33rd Missouri-and return to St. Louis to assist in the organization of a brigade, in which he was successful and rewarded with commission as Brigadier-General, November 24th.

The brigade was sent to Helena, Ark., where it participated in the


various operations of the war. In January, 1863, General Fisk was assigned to the command of the Second Infantry Division of the Army of East Arkansas, and took part in the unsuccessful Yazoo Pass expedition. Early in the summer of the same year he returned to Missouri, when he relieved General Davidson in command of the Department of Southern Missouri, with headquarters at Pilot Knob. In March, 1864, he was transferred to Northern Missouri, and when General Sterling Price attacked the State capital he was defeated and driven out of Missouri by General Fisk, and the State saved to the Union.

On March 13th, 1865, Fisk was breveted Major-General of volunteers, having previously received the full rank of Major-General from the State, and the thanks of the Missouri Senate and House of Representatives. His resignation was pending to the war department when the assassination of Lincoln occurred. It was not accepted, and he was assigned to duty as assistant commissioner of the Freedmen's Bureau for the States of Kentucky and Tennessee, with headquarters at Nashville. Here he set forth to restore confidence between the whites and blacks; to readjust the relations of society, and to bring about a revival of industry. General Fisk’s executive ability, his mild but firm methods, and his calm judgment, served him well in making the Bureau a success; and when he resigned from the army, September 1st, 1866, he had won the confidence and esteem of the people whom he had so efficiently aided. During this period he established the Fisk School of Freedmen, and from this humble beginning grew the Fisk University of Nashville, of which he was President of the Board of Trustees until the date of his death. Returning to St. Louis he was appointed Missouri State Commissioner of the Southwest railway, and later he was made its VicePresident and Land Commissioner, continuing his connection with the company until 1877. Five years before this time he removed to New York, and in 1874 General Grant appointed him a member of the Board of Indian Commissioners, which Board immediately elected him President, and this office he held at the time of his death. In 1877 General Fisk, on the advice of his physician, visited Europe, and since that time was occupied with his private affairs as well as with the business of various institutions and corporations with which he was connected. He was President of the East Tennessee Land Company, and of the New York Accident Insurance Company, a member of the Book Committee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a Trustee of several colleges connected with that denomination.

General Fisk first became prominently associated with the Prohibition movement in 1884, when he was urged to accept the nomination for presidency on that ticket, but he persistently declined. He was the Prohibition candidate for Governor of New Jersey in 1886, having had, for many years, a summer residence at Seabright. He worked during the campaign with characteristic energy, making some six score of speeches, and never missing an engagement. In 1888 he received the nomination for the presidency against his wish and protest. He made


« EelmineJätka »