« EelmineJätka »
trict and County Courts (except the Courts of Probate in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick), and of the Admiralty Courts in cases where the Judges thereof are for the time being paid by Salary, shall be fixed and provided by the Parliament of Canada.
101. The Parliament of Canada may, Genet of notwithstanding anything in this Act, Appeal, from Time to Time, provide for the Consti- &c. tution, Maintenance and Organization of a General Court of Appeal for Canada, and for the Establishment of any additional Courts for the better Administration of the Laws of Canada.
VIII.- REVENUES ; DEBTS ; ASSETS ;
TAXATION 102. All Duties and Revenues over Creation which the respective Legislatures of Ca- of Consolnada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick Revenue before and at the Union had and have Fund. power of Appropriation, except such Portions thereof as are by this Act reserved to the respective Legislatures of the Provinces, or are raised by them in accordance with the special Powers conferred on them by this Act, shall form One Consolidated Revenue Fund, to be appropriated for the Public Service of Canada in the Manner and subject to the Charges in this Act provided 11
Expenses 103. The Consolidated Revenue Fund of collection, &c. of Canada shall be permanently charged
with the ('osts, Charges and Expenses incident to the Collection, Management, and Receipt thereof, and the same shall form the First Charge thereon, subject to be reviewed and audited in such Manner as shall be ordered by the Governor-General in Council until the Parliament otherwise
provides. Interest 104. The annual Interest of the Public of Provincial public Debts of the several Provinces of Canada,
Nova Scotia and New Brunswick at the
the Consolidated Revenue Fund of Canada. Salary of 105. Unless altered by the Parliament Governor- of Canada, the Salary of the Governor-Ge
neral shall be Ten Thousand Pounds Sterling Money of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, payable out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund of Canada, and the same shall form the Third
Charge thereon. Appro- 106. Subject to the several Payments from time by this Act charged on the Consolidated
Revenue Fund of Canada, the same shall be appropriated by the Parliament of Can
ada for the Public Service. Transfer
107. All Stocks, Cash, Bankers' Balances of stocks, and Securities for Money belonging to each
Province at the Time of the Union, except as in this Act mentioned, shall be the Property of Canada, and shall be taken in Reduction of the amount of the respective Debts of the Provinces at the Union.
108. The Public Works and Property Transfer of each Province enumerated in the Third of proper
ty in Sche. Schedule to this Act shall be the Property dule. of Canada.
109. All Lands, Mines, Minerals, and Property Royalties belonging to the several Prov- in lands, inces of Canada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick at the Union, and all sums then due or payable for such Lands, Mines, Minerals, or Royalties, shall belong to the several Provinces of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in which the same are situate or arise, subject to any Trusts existing in respect thereof, and to any Interest other than that of the Province in the same.
110. All Assets connected with such Assets Portions of the Public Debt of each Pro
with Province as are assumed by that Province vincial
debts. shall belong to that Province
111. Canada shall be liable for the Debts Canada to and Liabilities of each Province existing for Proat the Union.
Debts of Ontario and Quebec.
112. Ontario and Quebec conjointly shall be liable to Canada for the amount (if any) by which the Debt of the Province of Canada exceeds at the Union Sixty-two million five hundred thousand Dollars, and shall be charged with Interest at the Rate or Five per Centum per Annum thereon.
Assets of 113. The Assets enumerated in the Ontario and Que. Fourth Schedule to this Act, belonging at
the Union to the Province of Canada, shall be the Property of Ontario and Quebec conjointly.
Debt of Nova Scotia.
114. Nova Scotia shall be liable to Canada for the Amount (if any) by which its Public Debt exceeds at the Union Eight million Dollars, and shall be charged with the Interest at the rate of Five per Centum per Annum thereon.
115, New Brunswick shall be liable to Canada for the Amount (if any) by which its Public Debt exceeds at the Union Seven million Dollars, and shall be charged with Interest at the rate of Five per Centum per Annum thereon
Payment 116. In case the Public Debts of Nova of interest Scotia and New Brunswick do not at the to Nova Sentia Union Amount to Eight million and Seven an-i New million Dollars respectively, they shall res
pectively receive, by half-yearly Payments Bruns
wick. in advance from the Governmentof Canada, Interest at Five per Centum per Annum on the Difference between the actual Amounts of their respective Debts and such stipulated Amounts.
117. The several Provinces shall retain Provinall their respective Public Property not
property. otherwise disposed of in this Act, subject to the Right of Canada to assume any Lands or Public Property required for Fortifications or for the Defence of the Country. 118. The following sums shall be paid Grants to
Provinces. yearly by Canada to the several Provinces for the support of their Governments and Legislatures :
Two hundred and sixty thousand ; and an annual Grant in aid of each Province shall be made, equal to Eighty Cents per Head of the Population, as ascertained by the Census of One Thousand eight hundred and Sixty-one, and in the case of Nova