« EelmineJätka »
LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS
Frontispiece To face page 8
The “Terrapin" in Kwang-tung Strait.
. Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Andamanese Women . .
beneath . .
struction) . . . . . . Death House, Hospitals, Maternity Houses, and Burial
ground, Mūs Village . V“Talik N'gi” (The Place of the Baby), Mūs Village, * Kar Nicobarese . . . . . . “Friend of England” . Mission Boys and Burmese Teacher, Kar Nicobar . 'Women and Children, Kar Nicobar . Terrapin Bay, Tilanchong . A Megapode . . . "A Megapode Mound . Inúanga Village, Nankauri Harbuor , Nankauri Canoe, with Festival Decorations. Kitchen and Dwelling-house, with Festival Tree, Nankauri Tanamara's “ Kareau”. Nankauri Man with Dancing Collar and Painted Nose Group of Dancers, Nankauri Harbour. Nankauri Man with Silver Necklace . . Objects from Nankauri Harbour
To face page 98
„ 126 „ „ 132
· 138 » 140 » 142 » 144 » 146 » 148 » 150 » 152
154 » 158 » 160 „ 162
Dwelling-houses, Dring Harbour, Kamorta (partially con
structed, and complete). . Fig Tree with Aëreal Roots, Little Nicobar . Houses, Pulo Milo ..
• Jungle Vegetation, Little Nicobar "Man with Pandanus Fruit, Kondul
• Boys of Kondul . . West Coast of Great Nicobar. 'Man and Woman of the Shom Pen, and a Nicobarese A Village of the Shom Pen Women and Girls of the Shom Peń "Men of the Shom Pen . Men of the Shom Pen (in profile) 'Hut of the Shom Pen .
Canoe at Pulo Nyur, Great Nicobar
On the Galathea River, Great Nicobar
• 'Andamanese Bamboo Buckets and Cane Baskets (conical);
also Nicobarese Cane Baskets (5), with Tray and Bucket
of Spathe Men of the Shom Pen; Men of the Shom Pen (in profile) .. Women of the Shom Pen; Women of the Shom Pen (in
profile) . . . . . . . 'Women of the Shom Pen; Women of the Shom Pen (in
profile) . . . . . . . Huts of the Shom Pen. 'Man of Nankauri ; A Headman of the Shom Peń . . * Tanamara” of Nankauri ; “Tanamara” of Nankauri (in
profile); A Headman of the Shom Pen: Headman
of the Shom Pen (in profile) . . . . 'Man of Kar Nicobar; Woman of Kar Nicobar ; Kar Nicobar
Boy (showing Epicanthus); Kar Nicobar Boy (in pro
file, showing Prognathism) . .
sickness to frighten away the offending evil spirits .
porodice. She Headmaprofilene
w Kar Nicobar: '
'A “Henta,” painted and first suspended inside hut in time of
sickness, to gratify good spirits and scare away demons.
(Specimen from Nankauri) . . . . To face page 234 Old Nicobarese Skirt, “Ngong" .
248 Baskets, Troughs, and Areca Spathe Feeding-dish, Nicobar Islands
» 252 Group of Kar Nicobarese
ILLUSTRATIONS IN TEXT
Little Andaman Canoe. .
• . “Scare-devil,” or device for exorcising evil spirits (Kachal) . . Female Talisman (Kachal); Female Talisman, “Kario" (Nankauri) ... 1, Shom Pen Spear (Great Nicobar). 2 and 3, "Hanoi cha," Canoe
Decorations for bow, stern, and outrigger (Kar Nicobar). 4,