« EelmineJätka »
An Act to amend the Acts and Ordinances constituting the Charter of the City of Calgary.
(Assented to April 2, 1927.)
WHEREAS the City of Calgary has prayed for certain
amendments to Ordinance 33 of 1893 of the NorthWest Territories and amendments thereto; and
Whereas it is expedient to grant the prayer of the said petition;
Therefore His Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Alberta, enacts as follows:
Ordinance 33 of 1893, North-West Territories, and amendments thereto, is hereby amended as follows:
Sub-sections 1 and 2 of
The Tax Recovery Act
The city not to account
for rents or taking over
1. By adding the following as section 258 thereto : "Subsections 1 and 2 of section 15 of The Tax Recovery section 15 of Act, 1922, shall not apply to the City of Calgary, but the city shall nevertheless advertise every such proposed sale, which not to apply shall be by public auction, in a newspaper having general circulation in the City of Calgary once in each of the two weeks immediately preceding the proposed date of sale." 2. By adding the following as section 259 thereto: "In case the City of Calgary, after the fifteenth day of December of the year next following the year in which a caveat has been filed, pursuant to The Tax Recovery Act, 1922, in possession the Land Titles Office for the South Alberta Land Registra- any parcel of tion District, shall have taken over possession and control of subsequently any parcel of land or shall have received or collected any rents or profits in respect thereof, the amount of the rents or profits so received or collected shall notwithstanding the subsequent redemption of any such parcel of land belong exclusively to the said city and the owner of such parcel shall have no claim against the said city in respect of any such amount or any part thereof."
and control of
Proceeds of sale of land
3. By adding the following as section 260 thereto: "Notwithstanding anything contained in The Tax Recov- after ery Act, 1922, or any other Act or Ordinance, the total the city to be proceeds of the sale of any land after the date of its final the sole and acquisition by the city under the provisions of The Tax property of Recovery Act, 1922, shall, subject to whatever claim there
ary assessment roll
may be for Supplementary Revenue Tax, be and shall be deemed to have been, since the date of the passing of The Tax Recovery Act, 1922, the sole and absolute property of the City of Calgary, and shall be applied in accordance with the terms of section 8 of chapter 64 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1925."
4. By adding the following as section 261 thereto:
"The assessor shall by the 31st day of December in each and every year, compile a supplementary assessment roll begun or in respect of buildings and improvements begun or comsubsequently pleted subsequently to the 31st day of October next preced
to Oct. 31st in
Council may capitalize certain assets
5. By adding the following as section 262 thereto: "The assessed owner of any building or improvement begun or completed subsequently to the 31st day of October and prior to the 31st day of December, shall be taxed for the following year on the said building or improvement so begun or completed, on a valuation for assessment purposes, as of the date of the 31st day of December."
6. By adding the following as section 263 thereto : "The rules and regulations for the mailing of assessment notices, the mailing of tax notices, the notices of appeals to the Court of Revision and to the District Court, shall mutatis mutandis apply to the said supplementary assessment."
7. By adding the following as section 264 thereto : "The Council of the City of Calgary may, without a vote created from of the ratepayers, but subject to the approval of the Board of Public Utility Commissioners, pass a by-law or by-laws tures therefor capitalizing the following expenditure made from current revenue, for the acquisition of the following described assets, in the sums hereinafter specified:
(a) New Burnsland Cemetery..
Such by-law or by-laws may provide for the issue of debentures on the general credit of the City of Calgary covering the whole or any portion of the amount of $38,857.37 so capitalized."
8. By adding the following as section 265 thereto: "Such debentures shall be for a period of twenty years and when issued shall constitute a valid and binding obligation upon the City of Calgary and the ratepayers thereof."
9. By adding the following as section 266 thereto: "The proceeds of the sale of the said debentures shall be applied and used in such manner as the Council of the City of Calgary may in its discretion determine."
10. By adding the following as section 267 thereto :
"(a) There shall be added to the definition of local improvement as contained in section 131 of the Charter of the City of Calgary the following, that is to say:
""The covering of any street or lane with any crude oil, oil, tar sands, calcium chloride or other road binding material of any nature whatsoever.'
"(b) The period of advertising the intention of the Council to pass a by-law or by-laws and the period for presenting a petition after the publication of notice of such intention, shall in respect of a local improvement of the class referred to in subsection (a) hereof and notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (b) of section 132 and section 133 of the Charter of the City of Calgary, be two weeks and seven days respectively."
11. By adding the following as section 268 thereto : "The following persons shall be entitled to have their names added to the voters' list of the City of Calgary: "(a) Any person who in the preceding year paid to the City of Calgary service tax;
"(b) Any person who in the year in which the voters' list is prepared, paid to the City of Calgary his current year's service tax on or before the 14th day of October."
Service tax payers to en
rights in respect of
to be entitled
12. By adding the following as section 269 thereto : "Any person who has paid his or her service tax for the current year up to and including the date of the general to vote municipal election, whose name has been omitted from the voters' list, shall be entitled to receive from the assessor and tax collector of the City of Calgary, a certificate stating that such person has in fact paid his or her service tax for the current year. Upon presentation of such certificate to the returning officer, such service tax payer shall be entitled to cast his or her vote at the general municipal election."
Person during current year
taxes paid to
13. By adding the following as section 270 thereto : "Any person, whether as transferee or as vendee under acquiring an agreement for sale, who has purchased property in the property in City of Calgary in respect of which arrears of taxes and which all taxes for the current year have been paid, shall, notwith- be entitled to standing the omission of his or her name from the voters' list, be entitled to receive from the city assessor and tax collector, a certificate stating that such person is the owner of property within the City of Calgary in respect of which all arrears of taxes and all current taxes have been paid and upon the production of such certificate to the returning officer, such person shall, notwithstanding his or her omission from the voters' list, be entitled to cast a vote at the general municipal election."
By-laws 1781, 1783, 1937
14. By adding the following as section 271 thereto: "By-law No. 1781 of the City of Calgary, dated the 13th and 1938 are day of March, A.D. 1915, being a by-law to consolidate the validated and