« EelmineJätka »
An Act to amend The Lethbridge City Charter.
(Assented to April 2, 1927.)
IS MAJESTY, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Alberta, enacts as follows:
The Lethbridge City Charter, being chapter 22 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1913, and amendments thereto, is hereby further amended as follows:
1. Title II, section 1: By adding at the end of the section the following as a part of the said section:
"Excepting the road allowance surveyed and lying between sections 20 and 29, and sections 21 and 28, all in Township 8, Range 21, West of the Fourth Meridian, in the Province of Alberta."
2. Title XXIV, of chapter 22, of the Statutes of Alberta, 1913, as amended by chapter 77 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1926, is hereby further amended as follows:
By striking out the figure "8" where it appears in the fifth line of section 17 and substituting therefor the figures "16."
3. By adding to Title XXIV as section 19, the following: "19. The council may also license as a special class the Power to owners or operators of all automobiles owned and operated automobiles in the City of Lethbridge, such license not to exceed $25.00 by by-law for each automobile, and may fix the license fee according to the weight of the car, the width of the tire, the length of the wheel base, or upon any other principle as shall seem fit. This license fee shall not be a set-off against any business taxes, or any business taxes against it. This license shall not be put into effect until the by-law providing therefor shall have first been approved by a two-thirds majority of a vote of the electors voting upon the said by-law."
4. Section 2, of chapter 43 of the Statutes of Alberta for 1920, is hereby amended as follows:
By striking out the words and figures "Title XXXIV" where they appear in the first line of the said section and substituting therefor "Title XXIV" and by striking out of the same line the figure and letter "9a," and substituting
Destruction of noxious weeds
Notice to destroy
Destruction by City
Recovery of amount
therefor the figures "18," and by striking out the figure and letter "9a" in the second line and substituting therefor the figures "18."
5. By adding the following paragraphs to said Title XXIV:
"20. The council may by by-laws provide that
"Every owner shall destroy all noxious weeds on the land he owns, occupies or has the right to occupy in the City of Lethbridge and on the area between the boundaries of the said land, and the centre line of all contiguous roads, streets and lanes, and if he makes default in so doing, shall be liable on summary conviction before a Justice of the Peace to a penalty not to exceed fifty dollars and costs.
"21. The words 'noxious weeds,' 'occupant' and 'owners' shall have the same meaning as given in section 2, of chapter 63 of the Revised Statutes of Alberta, 1922.
"22.-(1) Upon the passing of any such by-law, and so long as the same remains in force, all owners or occupants of land and all persons having a right to occupy land in the City of Lethbridge may be notified by a notice published once in a newspaper printed and circulated in the City of Lethbridge, to destroy all noxious weeds on all land owned or occupied by them or which they have a right to occupy and in case they fail to destroy all noxious weeds on the said lands pursuant to any such notice within three days after the publication of such notice shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding fifty dollars and costs.
"(2) In case the noxious weeds are not destroyed on any land pursuant to any such notice or in case the owner of such land is unknown, the City of Lethbridge by its servants or agents may forthwith, after the expiration of the said three days, after such notice, enter upon the said land with the necessary teams and implements and destroy such weeds.
"(3) The amounts expended and the work performed, expended by including labor, under the next preceding section may be recovered from the owner or occupant of the land by action in the name of the City of Lethbridge or by distress of any chattels on the said land.
Adding cost to taxes
"(4) Any such amount which has not been recovered from the owner or occupant before the 1st of November next following its expenditure, shall be added to and form a part of the municipal taxes upon such land and it shall have the same effect on the land as if it were an ordinary tax and may be recoverable by any of the methods available for the recovery of such taxes. A certificate of the Commissioner of Public Works of the City of Lethbridge to the effect that the amount named therein has been expended during any year for the destruction of noxious weeds upon any area of land described therein, shall be prima facie evidence that the amount has been so expended."
6. By striking out of subsection (dd) of section 10 of Title XXIV all the words of the said subsection after the word "City" where it appears in the second line of the said subsection.
7. Title III, of chapter XXII of the Statutes of Alberta, 1913, and amendments thereto, are hereby amended by adding the following subsections: "(d) The names of all British subjects, natural born or Plebiscite naturalized, male or female, of twenty-one years certain of age or over, who have resided continuously subjects to in the City of Lethbridge for six months prior vote to the first day of June immediately preceding the making up of the voters' list and who have registered in accordance with the provisions for registration hereinafter provided: provided that the provisions of this subsection shall not come into effect until a majority of the electors shall have approved of said persons voting at any such election, and for the purpose of obtaining the opinion of the electors thereon, the said question shall be submitted to the voters at a plebiscite to be held prior to the first day of June, 1927, at which all the electors of the City of Lethbridge shall be entitled to vote, and if a majority of the electors approve thereof, the said subsection shall upon the declaration of the City Clerk that the majority of the electors have so approved, immediately come into effect. "(e) The City Clerk shall keep open during the months Registration of June and July of each year at the city hall, or and British such other place or places as the council may direct, subjects a registration booth so as to enable tenants and British subjects, who are not otherwise disqualified from voting, to register their names and addresses as tenants and British subjects qualified to vote at the election of commissioners and advisory commissioners.
"(f) The City Clerk shall require from any person pro- Proof of posing to register as tenant or British subject, proof qualifications satisfactory to him of the qualification as such, and for the purpose the City Clerk, or any deputy appointed by him in writing, shall have authority to take from any such person a statutory declaration or affirmation proving any statement made by the said person.
"(g) There shall be a further period of not less than two weeks, nor more than four weeks, as the council may decide, immediately prior to the 14th day of October in each year, when any person may apply to the City Clerk at his office at the city hall to have his name added to the voters' list, if improperly omitted therefrom, or to change his place of
residence as entered, or to strike off the name of any other person claiming to be wrongly entered therein as a tenant or a British subject."
8. Title III, section 1, is hereby amended by striking out that portion of section 1, of chapter 28, of the Statutes of Alberta, 1915, which reads as follows:
"Title III, section 2, subsection (c): By adding to said subsection the following: 'But all tenants must apply either personally or by agent to the assessor not later than the 20th day of August in each year to have his name put on the list.'"
9. This Act shall come into force on the day upon which it is assented to.
An Act to amend Chapter 46 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1924, being an Act to empower the Medicine Lake Collieries, Limited, to construct and operate a colliery railway.
(Assented to April 2, 1927.)
HEREAS, Medicine Lake Collieries, Limited, has pre- Preamble sented a petition praying for the amendment of an Act empowering it to construct and operate a colliery railway, being Chapter 46 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1924, and it is expedient to grant the prayer of the petitioner;
Therefore His Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Alberta, enacts as follows:
1. That section 5 of the said Act be and the same is here- New by repealed, and the following substituted therefor:
"5. The construction of the railway hereby authorized Completion shall be commenced within four years and shall be completed within six years from the date of the coming into force of this Act, and section 70 of The Railway Act (Alberta) shall not apply to the said company."
2. This Act shall come into force on the day upon which Coming into it is assented to.
force of Act