« EelmineJätka »
An Act to amend Chapter 57 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1918, as amended by Chapter 71 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1921, and further amended by Chapter 61 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1923, and further amended by Chapter 70 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1925, and further amended by Chapter 74 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1926, being an Act to Incorporate the Calgary & Southwestern Railway Company.
(Assented to April 2, 1927.)
WHEREAS the Calgary & Southwestern Railway Com- Preamble
pany has presented a Petition praying for the amendment of the Act incorporating the said Company, being Chapter 57 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1918, as hereinafter set forth, and it is expedient to grant the prayer of the said Petition;
Therefore, His Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Alberta, enacts as follows:
1. That section 13 of the said Act, as the same is amend- New ed by section 1 of Chapter 71 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1921, and further amended by section 1 of Chapter 61 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1923, and further amended by section 1 of Chapter 70 of the Statutes of Alberta, 1925, be and the same is hereby repealed and the following substituted therefor:
"13. That the construction of the railway hereby au- Completion thorized shall be commenced within two years and shall be completed within five years from the coming into force of this amending Act, and section 70 of The Railway Act, Chapter 48, of the Revised Statutes of Alberta, 1922, shall not apply to the said Company."
force of Act
2. This Act shall come into force on the day upon which Coming into it is assented to.
An Act to Incorporate St. Stephen's College.
(Assented to April 2, 1927.)
WHEREAS Alberta College was incorporated by Ordin- Preamble
ance No. 34 of the North West Territories for the year 1904, and the said Alberta College has carried on, inter alia, the work of a theological college since 1910 under the authority of the Methodist Church of Canada; and
Whereas Robertson College was incorporated by Chapter 32 of the Statutes of the Province of Alberta for the year 1915 and was authorized by the said Act to carry on the work of a theological college under the authority of the Presbyterian Church of Canada, and the said college has carried on the work of a theological college since the said date; and
Whereas the basis of union of the said Methodist Church of Canada and the Presbyterian Church in Canada as set out in Schedule A to The United Church of Canada Act, being chapter 100 of the Statutes of Canada for the year 1924, provides that where two or more colleges are doing the same class of work in the same locality an amalgamation of such colleges shall be effected as soon as possible; and
Whereas the board of management of the said St. Stephen's College appointed by the direction of the General Council of the United Church of Canada has petitioned the Legislature to incorporate a college as an amalgamation of Robertson College and the theological section of Alberta College under the name of St. Stephen's College; and
Whereas it is expedient to comply with the said petition;
Therefore His Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Alberta, enacts as follows:
1. The members of the board of management of the said Board of St. Stephen's College and all and every such other person or persons as shall in place of or in addition to the present members of the said board of management be chosen as members of the said board of management according to the directions of the General Council of the United Church of Canada, from time to time, in that behalf, are hereby constituted and established a body politic and corporate under
Election of board of
the name of "St. Stephen's College," with perpetual succession and a common seal and with the powers vested by law in corporate bodies.
2. The said St. Stephen's College shall have power under the said corporate name as fully and effectually, any law to the contrary notwithstanding, as any private person, to hold all property now held by the said institution, or by any one or more persons in trust for the benefit of the said institution, and to purchase, acquire, have, take, hold and enjoy, by gift, grant, conveyance, devise, bequest or otherwise to them and to their successors, any estate or property real or personal, and sell, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same and reinvest or otherwise dispose of the proceeds thereof, to and for the use of the said college, in trust for the promotion of theological learning and education of youth for the holy ministry under the authority and according to the principles and standards of the United Church of Canada, aforesaid.
3. It shall be lawful for the General Council of the United management Church of Canada, by resolution or by-law to that effect made in terms thereof specifically applicable thereto and recorded in the register of proceedings of the said General Council and remitted to the secretary of St. Stephen's College to declare from time to time the method of election of the said board of management and to make such regulations as it may deem requisite with regard to the conduct of the said college and the exercise by the board of management of the powers hereby granted to it.
Power to confer honorary degrees
Execution of instruments
4. The said college shall also have power to confer the honorary degrees of Doctor of Divinity upon ordained ministers and may make by-laws and regulations touching any matter or thing pertaining to the conditions on which said degree may be conferred, and section 4 of the said Act incorporating Robertson College is hereby repealed, and section 9 (a) of the said ordinance incorporating Alberta College is hereby repealed.
5. All instruments to be executed by the corporation shall be attested by the seal of the said corporation and signed by the chairman and secretary of the board of management or in the absence of such officers or either of them, by such person or persons as the board of management shall direct.
6. All the property, real and personal, of any kind whatsoever now or heretofore vested in Robertson College or in the name of any person or persons for or on behalf of Robertson College shall, subject to any trust affecting the same, be vested in St. Stephen's College, saving and excepting thereout such portion or portions, if any, of the said property as shall by the order or direction of the Commission appoint