« EelmineJätka »
In the House of a Pharisee, Mary Mag
dalen anoints Christ's Feet, and washeth them with her Tears.
ND one of the Pharisees defired him that he
would eat with him. And he went into the Pharifee's House, and sat down to Meat.
37. And behold, a Woman in the City, which was a Sinner, when she knew that Jesus fat at Meat in the Pharisee's House, brought an alabaster Box of Ointment,
38. And stood at his Feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his Feet with Tears, and did wipe them with the Hairs of her Head, and kifsed his Feet, and anointed them with the Ointment.
39. Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him, saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This Man, if he were a Prophet, would have known who, and what manner of Woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a Sin
40. And Jesus answering, said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, fayon.
41. There was a certain CR EDITOR which had two DEBTERS : the one owed him five hundred Pence, and the other fifty.
42. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore which of them will () 2 Cor. V. 14. For the Love of (a) Love him most?
Christ constraineth us, because we
thus judge, that if onc vịED for 43. Simon answered and all, then were all DEAD. said, I suppose that he to 1 Pet. i. 8. Whom having not whom he forgave moft. And seen, ye LOVE ; in whom though he said unto him, Thou hast ING, ye rejoice with Joy unspeakrightly judged.
able, and full of Glory. 44. And he turned to the Woman, and said unto Simon, Seeft thou this Woman? I entred into thine House, thou gaveft me no Water for my Feet: but she hath washed my Feet with Tears, and wiped them with the Hairs of her Head.
45. Thou gaveft me no Kiss: but this Woman, since the Time I came in, hath not ceased to kiss my FEET.
46. Mine Head with Oil thou didft not anoint: but this Woman hath anointed my Feet with Ointment.
47. Wherefore I say unto thee, Her Sins, which are many, are FORGIVEN; for She * LOVED much : bút to
See Pages 97, 98. Of the Love whom little is forgiven, the of God. same Lovery little.
48. And he said unto her, Thy Sins are FORGIVEN.
49. And they that fat at Meat with him, began to say within themselves, Who is this that FORGIVETR SINS also ?
so. And he faith unto the Woman, Thy Faith hath SAVED thee ; go in Peace.
CHRIST being asked whether but few
Jould be saved, commands all to ftrive to enter in at the Arait Gate ; and de
scribes the Doom of all formal Professors. Luke AND be went threat of the Spiritual Warfare. Villages, teaching and jour- (a). Folh. TAKE good HEID neying towards Jerusalem. felves
, that yc Love the Lord your 23. Then said one unto God. him, Lord, are there few
Psalm iv. 4. Scand in AWE, and that be saved? And he is not : commune with your own faid unto them,
Heart upon your Bed, and be ftill.
PS. xxxix. 1. I said I will take 24. STRIVE TO ENTER in Heed to my Ways, that I fin at the (a) STRAIT GATE : not with my Tongue : I will keep for many, I say unto you, Wicked is before me.
my Mouth with a Bridle, while che will seek to enter in, and PS. cxix. 9. Wherewith fhall a Ihall not be able.
young Man cleanse his Way ? by 25. When once the Maf- TAKING HEED thereto according
to thy Word. ter of the House is risen up, (6) Job xxvii. 8. For what is the and hath shut to the Door, Hope of the HYCOCRITE, though and ye begin to stand with he hath gained, when God takech out, and to knock at the away his soul?
9. Will God hear his Cry when Door, saying, (6) Lord, Lord, Trouble cometh upon him? OPEN unto us ; and he shall Ps. xcv. 10. Forty Years long was
I grícved with this Generation, and an
answer and say unto you, faid, It is a People that do ERR in I know you not whence you known my Ways
their Heart, and they have not are.
11. Unto whom I (ware in my 26. Then shall ye begin Wrath, that they should not Ento say, We have eaten and ter into my Relt. DRUNK in thy Presence, and there was none to save them: even
Pf. xviii. 41. They cried, but thou haft taught in our unto the Lord, but he answered Streets.
them not. 27. But he shall say, I tell unta those that be good,
PS. cxxv. 4. Do good, O Lord, you, I know you not whence them that are upright in their you are; DEPART from me,
s. As for fuch as turn afide unto ye
Workers of INIQUITY. their CROOKED WAYS, the Lord 28. There shall be Weep. Thall LEAD them forth with the ING and GNASHING of Workers of INIQUITY : but Peace TEETH, when ye shall see
shall be upon Ifrael,
Prov. v. 21. For the Ways of Abraham, and Isaac, and Man are before the Eyes of the Jacob, and all the Prophets Lord, and he pondereth all his in the KINGDOM of God, Goings, and you yourselves thrust out. Man are clean in his own Eyes : but
Chap. xvi. 2. All the Ways of a 29. And they shåll come the Lord weigheth the SPIRITS. from the East, and from the Lord taid, Forasmuch as this People
Mai. xxix. 13. Wherefore the West, and from the North, draw near me with their MOUTH, and from the South, and shall and with their Lips do honour me, fit down in the KINGDOM but have removed their HEART of God.
far from me, and their FEAR to
wards mc is taught by the Precept 30. And behold, there are of Men: last which shall be first, and Chap. lviii. 1. Cry aloud, spare there are first which shall be not, lift up thy Voice like a Trum
pet, and Thew my People their last.
Transgressions, and the House of 31. The same Day there Jacob their Sins. came certain of the Pharisees, delight to know my WAYS, as a
2. Yet they seek me daily, and faying unto him, Get thee Nation that did Righteousness, and out, and depart hence: for forsook nos the Ordinance of their Herod will kill thee.
God : They ask of me the Ordi. 32. And he said unto them, light in APPROACHING to God.
nances of Justice : they take deGo ye and tell that Fox, Be- Jer. vii. 3. Thus faith the Lord hold, I cast out Devils, and of Hosts, the God of Israel, Amend I do Cures to-day and to- I will cause you to dwell in this
your Ways and your Doings, and morrow, and the THIRD Day Place. I shall be PERFECTED.
4. Trust ye not in lying Words, 33. Nevertheless, I must the Temple of the Lord, the Tem
saying, The Temple of the Lord, walk to-day and to-morrow, ple of the Lord, are these. and the Day following : for 8. Behold ye TRUST in LYING it cannot be that a Prophet
WORDS that cannot profit. PERISH out of Jerusalem.
9. Will ye Steal, Murder, and
commit_ Adultery, and swear falliy, and burn Incense unto Baal, and walk after other Gods, whom ye know not ;
10. And come and stand before me in this House, which is called by my Name, and say, We are delivered to do all these ABOMINATIONS?
Chap. xi. 20. But, O Lord of Hoits, who JUDGEST RIGHTEO'SLY, that TRIEST the Reins and the Heart, let me fee thy Vengeance on them; for unto thee have I revealed my Cause.
Ezek. xxxiii. 30. Also thou Son of Man, the Children of thy People still are talking against thee by the Walls, and in the Doors of the Houses, and speak one to another, every one to his Brother, saying, Come, I pray you, and hear what is the WORD that cometh torch from the Lord.
31. And they come unto thee as thy People comethi, and they fit before thee as my People, and they hear thy Words, but they will not do them: for with their Mouth they fhew much Love, but their Heart goeth after their COVETOUSNESS.
i Cor. iv, 20. For the KINGDOM of God is not in WORD, but in POWER.
Chap. xiii. 1. Though I speak with the Tongues of Men and of Angels, and have not ChariTY, I am become as founding Brass, or a tinkling Cynibal,
2. And though I have the Gift of Prophecy, and understand all Mysteries, and all Knowledge; and though I have all Faith, so that I could rcmove Mountains, and have no CHARITY, I am nothing.
3. And though I beltow all my Goods to feed the Poor, and though I give my Body to be burned, and have not CHARITY, it profitcth me nothing.
Gal. vi. 3. For if a Man think himself to be someTHING, when he is NOTHINI, he deceiveth himself.
2 Tim. iii. 5. Having a form of GODLINESS, but denying the Power thereof : from such turn away.
Titus i. 16. They process that they know God; but in Works they DENY him, being abominable and disobedient, and unto every good Work reprobate.
Rev. iii. 14. And unto the Angel of the Church of the Laodiceans, write, These Things faith the Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the Creation of God;
is. I know thy Works, that thou art neither cold nor Hor: I would thon wert cold or hot.
16. So then because thou art LUKE-WARM, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my Mouch :
17. Because thou sayft, I am rich, and increased with Goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and milera. ble, and poor, and blind, and naked.
Prov. iv. 23. KEEP thy Heart with all Diligence : for out of it are the Iffues of LIFE.
2 Cor. v. g. Wherefore we LABOUR, that whether present, or absent, we may be accepted of him.
Chap. x. 3. For though we walk in the Flesh, we do not war after the FLESH:
4. (For the Weapons of our WARFARE are not CARNAL, but MIGHTY through God to the pulling down of STRONG-HOLDS)
5. Casting down IMAGINATIONS, and every high Thing that exalteth itself against the KNOWLEDGE Of God, and bringing into CapTIVITY every Thought to the Obedience of Christ.
Ephes. v. is. See then that ye walk CIRCUMSPECTLY, noc as Fools, but as Wise,
Chap. vi. 10. Finally, my Brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the Power of his Might.
11. Put on the whole ARMOUR of God, that ye may be able to stand against the Wiles of the Devil.
12. For we wrestle not against Flelh and Blood, but against Principa. lities, against Powers, against the Rulers of the Darkness of this World, against spiritual Wickedness in High Places :
13. Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the Evil Day, and having done all, to stand.
Phil. ij. 12. Work out your own SALVATION with Fear and Trembling.
13. For it is God which worketh in you, both to will and to do of his good Pleasure.
2 Tim. ii. 3: Thou therefore endure HARDNESS, as a good SOLDIER of Jesus Chrift.
No Man that warreth, entangleth himself with the Affairs of this Life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a Soldier.
1 Cor. ix. 24. Know ye not that they which Run in a RACE, run all, but one receiveth the PRIZE ? so run, that ye may OBTÁIN.
25. And every Man that strIVETH for the Mastery, is temperate in all things: Now they do it to obtain a corruptible Crown, but we 20 incorruptible.
26. I therefore so RUN, not as uncertainly : fo Fight I, not as one that beateth the Air :
27. But I keep under my Body, and bring it into SUBJECTION: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I my self should be a Cast-AWAY.
Heb. iv. 11. Let us labour therefore to enter into that Rest, lest any Man FALL after the same Example of Unbelief.
Chap. vi. 12. Be not sloTHFUL, but Followers of them, who through Faith and Pacience inherit the Promises.
Chap. xii. 1. Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a Cloud of Witnesses, let us lay aside every WEIGHT, and the Sin which doch so easily besét us, and let us RUN with PATIENCE che Race that is set before us,
2. Looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our Faith; who for the Joy that was fct before him, endured the Cross, defpiling the Shame, and is set down at the right Hand of the Thronc of God.
3. For consider him that endured such CONTRADICTION of Six. NERS against himself, left ye be wearied, and FAINT in your Minds.
1 Pet. iv. 18. And if the Righteous scarcely be SAVED, where thall the UNGODLY and the SINNER appear ?
2 Pet. i. 1o. Wherefore the rather, Brethren, give Diligence to make your Calling and ELECTION sure : for if ye do these Things, ye shall never FALL:
11. For so an Entrance shall be ministred unto you abundantly, into the everlasting KINGDOM of our Lord and Saviour' Jeft Chrift.
Rev. xxi. 7. He that OVERCOMETH (hall INHERIT all things, and I will be his God, and he shall be my Son,