« EelmineJätka »
because it is the Price of Blood. And they took Counfel, and bought with them the Potters Field, to bury Strangers in. Wherefore that Field was called the FIELD OF BLOOD unto this Day. Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the Prophet, faying, And they took the thirty Pieces of Silver, the Price of him that was valued, whom they of the Children of Ifrael did value, and gave them for the Potter's Field, as the Lord appointed them.
CHRIST is accufed before Pontius Pilate of Sedition, and affecting the Kingdom. His excellent Con
27. To God only wife, be Glory
through Jefus Chrift for ever. A
1 Cor. i. 17. For Chrift fent me not to baptize, but to preach the Gofpel : not with WISDOM OF words, left the CROSS of Chr.j fhould be made of none Effect. CROSS is to them that perish, FooL
18. For the PREACHING of the
ISHNESS: but unto us which are
faved, it is the POWER of God.
23. But we preach Chrift CRUCIIED, unto the Jews a StumblingISHNESS.
block, and unto the Greeks FOOL
24. But unto them which are
called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ, DOM of God.
the POWER of God, and the Wis
27. But God hath chofen the FOOLISH Things of the World, to confound the WISE; and God hath chofen the WEAK Things of the World, to confound the Things which are MIGHTY.
28. And BASE Things of the fpifed, hath God chofen, yea, and World, which are deThings which are not, to bring to nought Things that are: 29. That no FLESH fhould GLORY in his Prefence.
30. of him are in Chrift
Jefus, who of God is made unto us WISDOM, and Righteoufnefs, and Sanctification, and Redemp
feffion. Publick Teftimony of Innocence given of him by Pilate.
31. That, according as it is written, He that GLORIETH, let him GLORY in the Lord.
Chap. ii, 2. For I determined not to know any thing among you, fave Jefus Chrift, and him CRUCIFIED.
6. Howbeit we speak WISDOM among them that are perfect: yet
not the WISDOM of this World,
nor of the Princes of this World,
that come to NOUGHT.
7. But we fpeak the WISDOM of God in a MYSTERY, even the hidden Wisdom which God ordained
before the World unto our Glory.
8. Which none of the Princes of this World knew: For had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of GLORY.
9. But as it is written, EYE hath
have entred into the HEART of
not feen, nor EAR heard, neither Man, the Things which God hath prepared for them that LOVE him. 2 Cor. v. 18. All Things are of God, who hath reconciled us to
himself by Jefus Chrift, and hath given to us the Miniftry of Reconciliation;
Chrift, reconciling the World unto 19. To wit, that Gon was in himself, not imputing their Trefpaffes unto them, and hath committed unto us the Word of Reconciliation.
ye him, and judge him according to your Law. The Fews therefore faid unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any Man to Death. That the Saying of Jefus might be fulfilled, which he fpake, fignifying what Death he fhould die. [M] And Fefus ftood before the Governour; [L.] and they began to accufe him, faying, We found this Fellow perverting the Nation, and forbidding to give Tribute to Cefar, faying, that he himself is Chrift a King.  Then Pilate entred into the Judg; ment-Hall again, and called Fefus, and faid unto him, Art thou the King of the Fers? Fefus answered him, Sayft thou this Thing of thy felf, or did others tell it thee of me? Pilate anfwered, Am I a Few? Thine own Nation, and the Chief Priests, have delivered thee unto me: What haft thou done? Fefus anfwered, My KINGDOM is not of this WORLD: If my Kingdom were of this World, then would my Servants fight, that I fhould not be delivered to the Jews: But now is my Kingdom not from hence. Pilate therefore faid unto him, Art thou a King then? Jefus anfwered, [M] and faid unto him,  Thou fayft that I am a King. To this End was I born, and for this Caufe came I into the
20. Now then we are AMBASSA
befeech you us: we pray
DORS for Chrift, as though God you in Chrift's ftead, be ye reconciled to God:
21. For he hath made him to be Sin for us, who knew no Sin; that
we might be made the Righteoufnefs of Gon in him.
Gal. i. 3. Grace be to you, and from our Lord Jefus Chrift, Peace from God the Father, and
4. Who GAVE himself for our Sins, that he might deliver us from this prefent evil World, according to the WILL of God, and our Father.
Chap. ii. 19. For I through the Law am dead to the Law, that I might LIVE unto God.
20. I am CRUCIFIED with Chrift: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Chrift liveth in me: And the Life which I now live in the Flesh, I' live by the FAITH of the Son of God who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21. I do not frustrate the Grace
of God: For if RIGHTEOUSNESS come by the Law, then Chrift is dead in vain.
deemed us from the Curfe of the Chap. iii. 13. Chrift hath reLaw, being made a Curfe for us: For it is written, Curfed is every one that hangeth on a Tree.
Chap. iv. 4. But when the Fulnefs of the Tine was come, God fent forth his Son made of a Woman, made under the Law,
der the Law, that we might re5. To redeem them that were unceive
the World, that I fhould bare
CHRIST is led unto He-
ceive the ADOPTION of Sons.
Ephef. ii. 1. And you hath he QUICKNED, who were dead in
Trefpaffes and Sins,
2. Wherein in Time past ye walked, according to the COURSE of this WORLD, according to the Prince of the Power of the AIR, the SPIRIT that now worketh in the Children of Difobedience.
3. Among whom alfo we all had our Converfation in Times past, in the LUSTS of our Flesh, FULFILLING the Defires of the Flefh, and of the Mind; and were by Nature the Children of Wrath, even as others.
13. But now in Chrift Jefus, who were sometimes far off, are made NIGH by the Blood of Chrift.
14. For he is our Peace, who hath made BOTH ONE, and hath broken down the middle Wall of Partition between us;
15. Having abolished in his Flefh the Enmity, even the Law of Commandments, contained in
Ordinances, for to make in himself, of twain, one new Man, fo making Peace;
16. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one Bony by the CROSS, having flain the ENMITY thereby:
17. And came and preached Peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18. For through him we both have an Accefs by one Spirit unto the Father.
Chap. iii. 8. Unto me, who am lefs than the leaft of all Saints, is this Grace given, that I fhould preach among the Gentiles the unfearchable Riches of Chrift.
9. And to make all Men fee, what is the Fellowship of the Mystery, which from the Beginning of the World hath been hid in God, who created ALLTHINGS by Jefus Chrift:
10. To the Intent that now unto the Principalities and Powers in heavenly Places, might be known by the Church the manifold Wised Boм of GOD,
11. According to the eternal Purpole which he purpofed in Chrift Jefus our Lord:
12. In whom we have Boldness and Accefs with Confidence by the Faith of him. 14. For this Caufe I bow my Knees unto the Father of our Lord Fefus Chrift,
15. Of whom the whole Family in Heaven and Earth is named,
16. That he would grant you
according to the Riches of his Glory, to be itrengthened with MIGHT, by his SPIRIT in the inner Man; 17. That Chrift may dwell in your Hearts by FAITH; that ye being rooted and grounded in Love, 18. May be able to comprehend with all SAINTS, what is the Breadth, and Length, and Depth, and Height;
19. And to know the Love of
chrift, which pafleth Knowledge; that ye might be filled with all the Fulnefs of God.
20. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ASK, or THINK, according to the Power that worketh in us,
21. Unto him be GLORY in the Church by Chrift Jefus, throughout all Ages, World without End. Amen.
ed to Herod's Jurifdiction, he fent him to Herod, who himfelf was alfo at Jerufalem at that Time. And when Herod faw Fefus, he was exceeding glad, for he was defirous to fee him of a long Seafon, because he had heard many Things of him, and he hoped to have feen fome Miracle done by him. Then he queftioned with him in many Words, but he answered him nothing. And the Chief Priests and Scribes flood, and vehemently accufed him. And Herod with his Men of War fet him at nought, and mocked him, and arayed him in a gorgeous Robe, and fent him again to Pilate. And the fame Day Pilate and Herod were made Friends together; for before they were at ENMITY between themfelves.
Pilate telling the Jews, that
Ephef. v. 25. Chrift LOVED the CHURCH, and gave himself for it: 26. That he might SANCTIFY and cleanse it, with the washing of Water, by the WORD,
27. That he might present it to
himself a GLORIOUS CHURCH, not having Spot or Wrinkle, or any fuch Thing, but that it should be holy and without Blemish.
Phil. ii. 5. Let this Mind be in you, which was alfo in Chrift Fe
6. Who being in the FORM of
God, thought it not Robbery to be
7. But made himfelf of no Reputation, and took upon him the FORM of a Servant, and was made
in the Likeness of Men:
8. And being found in Fashion
as a Man, he HUMBLED himself,
and became obedient unto Death,
338 The Hiftory of Chrift's Death, &c.
9. Wherefore God also hath high ly exalted him, and given him a Name which is above every Name ?
10. That at the Name of Jefus every Knee fhould bow, of Things in Heaven, and Things in Earth, and Things under the Earth;
[Z]A ND Pilate, when
he had called together the CHIEF PRIESTS, and the Rulers, and the People, faid unto unto them, Ye have brought this Man unto me, as one that perverteth the People; and behold, I having EXAMINED him before you, have found NO FAULT in this Man, touching thofe Things whereof ye accufe him: No, nor yet Herod; for I fent you to him, and lo, nothing worthy of Death is done unto him. I will therefore CHASTISE him, and RELEASE him. [M] Now at the Feaft the Governour was wont to release to the People [Mr.] one Prifoner, whom foever [M] they [Mr.] defired. [M] And they had then a notable Prifoner, [Mr.] named Barabbas, which lay bound with them that had made Infurrection with him, who had committed MURin the Infurrection. [M] Therefore when they were gathered together, PiLate faid unto them,  Ye have a CUSTOM that I fhould releafe unto you one at the Paffover. [Mr.] And the Multitude crying aloud, began to defire him to do as he had ever done unto them. But Pilate answered them, faying, Will ye that I releafe unto you the King of the Fews? [M] Whom will
11. And that every TONGUE fhould confefs, that Jefus Chrift is LORD, to the Glory of God the Father.
Col. i. 12. Giving THANKS unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be Partakers of the INHERITANCE of the Saints in LIGHT: 13. Who hath delivered us from the POWER of DARKNESS, and hath tranflated us into the KING
DOM of his dear Son :
14. In whom we have REDEMP
TION through his BLOOD, even the
20. And (having made Peace through the BLOOD of the CROSS) by him to reconcile all Things unto himself, by him, I fay, whether they be Things in Earth, or Things
21. And you that were some time alienated, and Enemies in your Mind by wicked Works, yet now 22. In the BODY of his FLESH, the RECONCILED, through Death, to present you нoLY and unblamicable, and unreproveable in his Sight.
Chap. ii. 13. And you being DEAD in your SINS, and the Uncircumcifion of your Flefh, hath he QUICKNED together with him, having forgiven you all Trefpafies,
14. BLOTTING out the Handwriting of Ordinances, that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his CROSS:
15. And having fpoiled Principa lities and Powers, he made a Shew of them openly, TRIUMPHING over them in it.
1 Theff. iv. 14. For if we believe that Jefus DIED. and ROSE again, even fo them alfo which fleep in Jefus, will God bring with him.
Chap. v. 9. For God hath not appointed us to Wrath; but to obtain SALVATION by our Lord J