Page images


of the Rainbow, before Brest, when Frobisher lost his life.

Captain Robert Cross was almost constantly employed. In Drake's West India voyage he commanded a bark; in the Armada he commanded the Hope. In Lord Thomas Howard's expedition, in 1592, he was Captain of the Bonaventure ; in Frobisher and Burroughs' to the coast of Spain, he commanded the Foresight; in the Cadiz expedition, under Essex and Howard, he was Captain of the Swiftsure; and in the Downs fleet he commanded the Nonpareil.

Many other officers distinguished themselves in the Armada, and on other occasions—the Earl of Cumberland, Sir Henry Palmer, Sir George Beston, Richard Hawkins, and two brothers of Thomas Fenner, one of whom was killed on the Groyne expedition. Nothing indeed could be more gratifying to the Queen than the conduct of all who participated in the overthrow of the Armada; which just at that time was enhanced by the opportune arrival of Sir Robert Sidney from Scotland, who reported to Her Majesty the determination of King James to stand firm to her interests, and to support those of the Protestant religion; and Sir Robert said that when he laid before James the arts and machinations of the Papists, the young King remarked that “ he expected no other favour at the hands of the Spaniards than what Polyphemus promised to Ulysses—that when he had devoured all the rest, he would reserve him for the last morsel.”

This may be considered a fit place to introduce the Spanish narrative of the expedition of their Armada, which is not only authentic, but remarkably accurate, when compared with those of our own historians.*

* In the · Life of Drake' the following narrative was frequently alluded to, and several passages quoted to show how very nearly the English and Spanish accounts of the proceedings of the two fleets in 1588 agreed, and (in a note) was given the following brief but correct history of the MS. Spanish document:-" This manuscript, in the Spanish language, was sent to a gentleman of the Admiralty, from the archives of Madrid, after the conclusion of the revolutionary war. It is evidently a journal kept by an officer of the Duke of Medina's flag-ship, and it may safely be pronounced a modest and honest narrative.”- Barrow's Life of Drake, p. 287.

“ The Duke of Medina Sidonia (says the Spanish manuscript narrative of the invasion, which Mr. Barrow quotes in a provoking manner, not giving any satisfactory account of its authenticity, or informing us what or where it is) summoned to him," &c.Edinburgh Review, No. 162, p. 397.

The gentleman of the “ Edinburgh Review” may be well assured that the writers in that journal are the last to be treated “in a provoking manner.” In the present case it was thought that the brief notice was sufficiently explicit as to the authenticity, the what and the where ; but Diis aliter visum : therefore the whole journal, as it is, shall be given in a true and faithful translation (by H. F. Amedroz, Esq. of the Admiralty), being a document more appropriately inserted here than in the · Life of Drake.' It may be considered as an interesting historical record.

RELACION DEL VIAGE que ha hecho desde el puerto de la

Coruña la Armada Real de S. M. de que es General el

Duque de Medina Sidonia, y lo que en el le ha sucedido. A NARRATIVE of the VOYAGE of the ROYAL ARMADA, from

the Port of Corunna, under the command of the Duke of Medina Sidonia ; with an account of the events which took place during the said voyage.


(11th July.)* Friday, 22nd July.—The Duke put to sea with the whole Armada from the port of Corunna, the wind being south-west; and for some days we made good progress with the same wind.

Monday, 25th July.-Seeing that the Armada was pursuing its voyage with favourable weather, the Duke dispatched Captain Don Rodrigo Fello for Dunkirk, to apprize the Duke of Parma of his coming ; and to learn the state of affairs in that quarter, as well as the situation which would be most convenient for their junction.

Tuesday, 26th July.—The day began with a dead calm and thick weather, which continued till noon. The wind then changed to the northward, and we held our course east until midnight; when the wind became west-north-west, with heavy showers, which continued through the day and night. This day we lost sight of the head galley, the Diana ; which, it was said, returned into port, on account of her making much water.

Wednesday, 27th July.-The same wind continued, but more fresh, and with a heavy sea, until midnight. In consequence of the weather, many ships of the Armada parted company, and amongst them, the three other galleys.

* The dates in the MS. are according to the old style. By deducting 11 from each day they correspond precisely with our Thursday, 28th July.—At daybreak it was fair, with sunshine, and less wind and sea than on the preceding day. The ships of the Armada being counted, it was found that there were forty missing, and the three galleys. The Duke gave orders for sounding, and we found ourselves in 75 fathoms, 30 leagues distant from the Scilly Islands. Three pataches (small vessels) were immediately dispatched : one to the Lizard Point, to see whether the missing ships might be there, and to order them to wait for the Armada; another to make the land and reconnaitre it; and the third to go to the rear, to give orders for all vessels to carry a press of sail; and also to see whether any of the missing ships might be astern, and if so, to hasten them up.


Friday, 29th July.—We continued our course with a westerly wind. The vessel which had been dispatched for the Lizard returned, and reported that Don Pedro de Valdes was a-head with the missing ships, that he kept them together, and that he should wait with them for the Armada. In the evening all the ships of the Armada joined company, excepting the Capitana of Juan Martinez, under the Maestre de Campo Nicolas Isla, and the three galleys, of whose course nothing was known. This same day the coast of England was seen; said to be the Lizard.

Saturday, 30th July.--At day-break the Armada was very near the land, from which it was discovered, and the fire and smoke beacons were lighted. In the afternoon the Duke sent Ensign Juan Gil in a zabra with oars, towards the shore. In the evening several ships were seen, but the weather being thick, with small rain, they could not be counted. Ensign Juan Gil returned at midnight, bringing four English fishermen in a bark; they said that they belonged to Falmouth, and that they had seen the English fleet sail this afternoon from Plymouth, with the Admiral of England and Drake (Draques).

Sunday, 31st July.—At day-break we were off Ply

mouth, and the wind had changed to west-north-west. Sixty ships were discovered to windward ; and eleven others (amongst which were three large galleons) to leeward, in shore. The latter maintaining a running fire with some of our ships, worked to windward, and joined their fleet. The Armada was formed in order of battle, and the flag-ship hoisted the royal standard at the fore-top-mast-head. The enemy's fleet passed, cannonading our van under Don Alonzo de Leyva, who returned their fire from some of his ships; and they then attacked our rear division under the Admiral-General Juan Martinez de Recalde; who, not to shrink from his post, awaited their coming up, although he saw the ships of his division joining the main body of the Armada. The enemy attacked him, and kept up so heavy a fire on his ship, without boarding, that they disabled her, cutting up her rigging, and lodging two shot in her foremast. She was supported by the Grangri, belonging to the rear division, the galleon San Mateo under Don Diego de Pimentel, Maestre de Campo, and the galleon San Juan, of the division of Diego Florez, commanded by Don Diego Enriquez, son of the Viceroy, Don Martin Enriquez. The flag-ship took in her foresails, slackened the ropes, and lying to, waited to receive Juan Martinez into the line ; upon which the enemy drew off, and the Duke got the Armada together; not being able to do more on this occasion, as the enemy had gained the wind : their vessels were well fought, and under such good management that they did with them what they pleased. In the evening Don Pedro de Valdez ran on board the ship Catalina of his division, and split his bowsprit and foresail ; he fell into the centre, to repair the damage. The Armada continued until 4 P.M. endeavouring to gain the wind of the enemy;, at this hour the powder-barrels of the flag-ship of Oquendo took fire, and blew up the two decks and the poop. The Paymaster-General of the Armada was on board this ship,

« EelmineJätka »