« EelmineJätka »
5. The pastor came: his snowy locks
Hallowed his brow of thought and care; And calmly, as shepherds lead their flocks,
He led into the house of prayer.
6. The pastor rose; the prayer was strong;
The psalm was warrior David's song;
And grasping in his nervous hand
The imaginary battle-brand,
Defiance to a tyrant king.
In eloquence of attitude,
Complete in all a warrior's guise. 8. A moment there was awful pause,
When Berkley cried, “Cease, traitor! cease!
The other shouted, “Nay, not so,
That frown upon the tyrant foe;
9. And now before the open door
The warrior priest had ordered so—
Its long reverberating blow,
10. And there the startling drum and fife
Fired the living with fiercer life;
The great bell swung as ne'er before:
word its ardor flung
Was, “War! WAR! WAR!”
11. “Who dares ”—this was the patriot's cry,
As striding from the desk he came
“Come out with me, in Freedom's name,
1. What is the topic of this lesson ? 2. What is the difference between Orotund Expulsive and Pure
Tone Expulsive? 3. When should the Orotund, Expulsive Form, be used ? 4. What style of thought should be given with the Pure Tone
Expulsive which should not be given with the Orotund Expul
sive? 5. Why does the selection require the Orotund Quality ? 6. Why Expulsive Form ? 7. If the selection were given with the Pure Tone Expulsive, what
elements of expression would it lack ?
EXERCISES IN POSITION. First Position.
1. Change from first to second position by stepping forward with the left foot.
2. From second to fourth by stepping forward with the left foot.
3. From fourth to first by stepping forward with the right foot. Repeat.
EXERCISES IN BREATHING AND GESTURE. 1. Inhale slowly and quietly, extend the arms horizontally and lower them slowly, and at the same time exhale. Repeat two or three times.
2. Inhale slowly, extend the arms horizontally, quickly, and at the same time exhale.
EXERCISES IN ARTICULATION.
į, as in ill.
fill, iuk, till.
EXERCISES IN OROTUND EXPLOSIVE.
end, met. 3. 1,
end, add, odd,
pick, hack, mock, luck, 1. Tell them we need no change, 2. Now set the teeth and stretch the nostrils wide.
Contrasting Pure T'one and Orotund in all the Forms.
1. Effusive Pure Tone.
OROTUND, EXPLOSIVE FORM_WHEN USED. The Orotund, in the Explosive Form, is the quality appropriate for the expression of courage, warning, alarm, terror, and abrupt exclamation.
Orotund Explosive Form.
the startled ear of night
Too much horrified to speak,
Out of tune,
Leaping higher, higher, higher,
And a resolute endeavor,
By the side of the pale-faced moon.
On the bosom of the palpitating air!
By the twanging
And the clanging,
In the jangling
And the wrangling,