« EelmineJätka »
An Act to Incorporate the Jesuits of Alberta.
(Assented to March 25, 1913.)
WHEREAS the Society of Jesus, commonly called the "Jesuits," one of the religious orders of the Roman Catholic Church, has for its objects the establishment and carrying on of missions or parishes, schools, colleges and seminaries; and
Whereas a petition has been presented by the Reverend Theophile Hudon, S.J., and others praying that the members of the said society from time to time engaged in the carrying out of the said objects in the Province of Alberta, be incorporated under the name of "The Jesuits of Alberta"; and
Whereas it is expedient to grant the said prayer;
Therefore His Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Alberta, enacts as follows:
1. The Reverend Joseph Carriere, S.J., the Reverend Francis Doyle, S.J., and the Reverend Yvan D'Orsonnans, S.J., all of the City of Monrreal, in the Province of Quebec, and the Reverend Theophile Hudon, S.J., of the City of Edmonton, and such other persons who, being members of the said order, shall become residents of the Province of Alberta, shall be and are hereby declared to be a body politic and corporate by the name of the "Jesuits of Alberta" for the purposes and objects in this Act mentioned.
2. The objects of the corporation are
(a) To establish and maintain schools, colleges, ob-
(c) To establish and maintain parishes and missions
3. The domicile or head office of the corporation will be at Edmonton, in the Province of Alberta, or at such other place in the said province as may from time to time be determined by the corporation.
4. The affairs of the corporation shall be managed by a council composed of the provincial of the order and his consultors chosen according to the constitution of the order and the council shall have power to make rules and regulations for the management of the affairs of the corporation, and the persons designated by name in the first section of this Act shall be the provisional council of the order.
5. The said corporation shall have power from time to time and at all times hereafter to acquire by gift, devise, purchase, lease or otherwise for its benefit any real property and to dispose of same by sale, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise and with the proceeds thereof acquire other real property or invest the same in any other property or security whatsoever for the use and benefit of the said corporation.
6. The said corporation may borrow money for its purposes and for securing the repayment thereof may mortgage all or any of the real or personal property of the corporation.
7. All instruments relating to real property shall be executed under the seal of the said corporation attested as provided by the rules and regulations of the corporation.
8. The said corporation shall at all times whenever required so to do by the Lieutenant Governor in Council make a report in writing of its affairs and property.
9. Provided that the powers herein granted shall be subject to the general laws of the province now in force or hereafter enacted.
An Act to Incorporate the Roman Catholic Parishes and
(Assented to March 25, 1913.)
WHEREAS the different parishes and missions of the Catholic Church are owners of property assigned to their foundation and for their support;
And whereas for more than a quarter of a century the property of said parishes and missions have been under the management of the Catholic Bishop residing at St. Albert;
And whereas the Catholic Bishop of St. Albert has been created an Archbishop, viz., the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Edmonton;
And whereas the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Edmonton, wishing to be assisted in the management of said property, has to that effect prayed for the right to incorporate each of said Catholic Parishes and Missions in the Archdiocese of Edmonton now existing or which may hereafter be organized;
And whereas it is expedient to grant said demand and to secure thereby to said parishes and missions the advantages prayed for;
And whereas under and by virtue of an Ordinance No. 11 of 1878, of the Ordinances of the North-West Territories, the Very Reverend Vital Grandin, Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of St. Albert, demanded by petition addressed to the Lieutenant Governor of the North-West Territories in Council to be incorporated and authorized to acquire and possess landed property in said Territories for religious purposes;
And whereas the Very Reverend Vital Grandin and each of his successors in the Diocese of St. Albert in communion with the Church of Rome were declared and established a corporate body in fact and in name, under the name of "La Corporation Episcopale Catholique Romaine de St. Albert";
And whereas the Right Reverend Emile J. Legal, Bishop of St. Albert, has been created Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Edmonton, and he has prayed that said Ordi
nance No, 11 of 1878, of the Ordinances of the North-West Territories, be amended to conform to such requirements; Therefore His Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Alberta, enacts as follows:
1. If any parish or mission of the Roman Catholic Incorporation Church owns or wishes to acquire any land for the erection of a church, chapel, parsonage house, or for a cemetery or other worship purposes such parish or mission from the fact of its canonical erection shall become a body politic and corporate which will be represented by His Grace the Archbishop of Edmonton and in case of death or of absence by the Administrator of the Archdiocese, by His Vicar General or the Dean of his clergy and the priest canonically appointed for the administration of such parish or mission, with power to associate with them for any period of time two other members or representatives of the said corporation.
2. These different corporations will be known under the name of "The Roman Catholic Parish, or the Roman Catholic Mission of according to the names given to those parishes or missions at the time of their regular establishment by the Archbishop or the Administrator of the Archdiocese; provided that in the case of a parish or mission of any rite other than the Latin rite, but adhering to the Church of Rome, the corporate name shall designate the rite of such parish or mission, as for instance: "The Roman Catholic Parish or Mission of of the (Greek Ruthenain rite or other rite, as the case may be) united to Rome."
3. The said parishes and missions under those names Powers and represented as above may have perpetual succession, and a seal with the power to change, alter or renew said seal as often as they will see fit, and may under the same name, and at the same time in future buy, acquire, by gift, devise, bequest, transfer, purchase or otherwise, hold, possess, enjoy, take and receive for the benefit of their said establishment any lands, or real and personal estate and the same or any part thereof may from time to time dispose of by sale, transfer or mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise, and with the proceeds therefrom may acquire other lands, tenements, hereditaments and other property (real or personal) or invest the same in any security whatsoever for the use of said parishes and missions; and shall be able to and may prosecute and be prosecuted for the same purpose and under the same name, assign or be assigned, to appear before court of law in any place whatever and in as ample and advantageous a
manner as any other body politic or corporate or as any person legally entitled to prosecute and be prosecuted, assign or be assigned, and said corporation shall have all power and authority to draft and enact such regulations and orders, not contrary to the laws in force in this province and to the laws of the Roman Catholic Church, which shall be deemed necessary and useful to the welfare of the said corporation for their management and that of their business and property, and from time to time may amend, alter or annul said regulations and orders or any of them in such manner as said corporation shall deem fit and proper.
4. All property already assigned for the maintenance and support of the Roman Catholic parishes and missions may be transferred as heretofore indicated to any of said parishes or missions as incorporated under this Act:
Provided that the property of a Roman Catholic parish or mission of the Greek, Ruthenian or other Oriental rite as the case may be shall remain distinct and separate from that of the parishes or missions of the Latin rite and provided that when a hierarchy of such Greek Ruthenian or other Oriental rite as the case may be shall be organized for this province by the Holy See, such hierarchy shall have the separate and distinct control and management of their respective parishes and missions thus created, instead of His Grace, The Archbishop of Edmonton.
5. The patents applied for in the name of the Roman Catholic parishes and missions shall become the property of said parishes and missions to which lands have been donated or granted.
6. This Act may be cited as "The Roman Catholic Parishes and Missions of the Archdiocese of Edmonton."
7. Section 1 of number 11 of the Ordinances of the North-West Territories 1878 is hereby amended by changing the name; "La Corporation Episcopale Catholique Romaine de St. Albert" to "La Corporation Archepiscopale Catholique d'Edmonton."
8. The Ordinance No. 32 of 1895 of the Ordinances of the North-West Territories, entitled "An Ordinance to Incorporate the Catholic Parishes and Missions in the Diocese of St. Albert", and an Act, being chapter 34 of the Statutes of Alberta, 9 Edward VII, 1909, to amend chapter 32 of the Ordinances of the North-West Territories, 1895, are hereby repealed.
9. The corporation shall at all times when required so to do by the Lieutenant Governor in Council render an account in writing of their property and affairs.