Founded in 1837 Collinsville had moved from an agrarian and small business community to a bustling industrial town by the turn of the 20th century. The Great Depression and industrial competition altered this course. However, the always strategic location with proximity to rivers, rail, and multiple highways encouraged growth towards a residential and suburban service-oriented town. One of the exciting recent developments is the popular and growing hospitality district. For over 175 years Collinsville has grown and changed, adapting to new developments and ideas. This book provides a visual history, primarily through picture postcards, of the changing community.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Public Places Public Services
Churches and Schools
Business and Industry
Sports and Leisure
The Henry J Marshall Postcard Collection
advertising American Bottom band Bank basketball became Belt Line Road block of West brick building built Cahokia Cahokia Mounds Center streets Church Street City Hall Coach coal Collins Collinsville Herald Collinsville High School Collinsville Historical Museum Collinsville Township Collinsville's constructed corner of Church corner of Main cowbell CTHS Drug Store Earl Sande early East Main East St Edwardsville Fairmount Fairmount Park Furniture Harrison Henry Eberhardt High School Hotel Illinois John Cook Kneedler Kreider Krite later left to right located Lois Metzger Louis Road Lumaghi Madison County Courthouse Main and Center Main and Morrison Mayor Monks Mound moved North Morrison north side northeast corner northwest º º º Opera House pictured post office postcard shows purchased railroad real photo postcard remodeled residence Saloon Schroeppel Silverbloom southeast station U.S. Highways 40 Vandalia Railroad Vandalia Street West Clay Street West Main Street William