« EelmineJätka »
An Ordinance to further amend Chapter 11 of The
[Assented to June 12, 1901.]
THE Lieutenant Governor by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Territories enacts as follows:
1. Chapter 11 of The Consolidated Ordinances 1898 is New Section 6 hereby amended by adding thereto the following section:
may make ad
6. The Territorial Treasurer may advance from time to Territorial time out of the general revenue fund on the certificate of the Treasurer government printer such sums as may be required for the vances to govpurchase of stationery and other supplies for the use of printer for the departments of the public service not exceeding in the purchase of aggregate the amounts appropriated for departmental expenses.
(2) The sums so advanced shall be accounted for under such regulations as may from time to time be made by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
An Ordinance respecting Steam Boilers.
[Assented to June 12, 1901.]
HE Lieutenant Governor by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Territories enacts as follows:
1. This Ordinance may be cited as "The Steam Boilers Ordinance 1901." C.O., c. 17, s. 1.
2. In this Ordinance unless the context otherwise requires1. The expression "boiler" does not include boilers used for heating water for domestic purposes or generating steam solely for heating buildings or railway locomotive or steamboat boilers but means and includes all other steam boilers and every part thereof or thing connected therewith and all apparatus and things attached to or used in connection with any such boiler;
2. The expression "owner" means and includes any person, firin or corporation the owner or lessee of a boiler and the manager or other head officer in charge of the business of any such firm or corporation;
3. The expression "engineer" means any person having charge of or operating a steam boiler and the steam engine connected therewith under the provisions of this Ordinance; 4. The expression "person" means any male over eighteen years of age;
5. The expression "commissioner" means the Commissioner. of Public Works of the Territories;
6. The expression "inspector" means an inspector of steam boilers appointed under the provisions of this Ordinance;
7. The expression "inspection certificate" means the annual certificate of the inspection of any boiler issued by an inspector;
"Certificate " 8. The expression "certificate" means the provisional or final certificate of qualification issued to any engineer under the provisions of this Ordinance. C.O., c. 17, s. 2,
3. The Lieutenant Governor in Council may appoint an Appointment inspector or inspectors of steam boilers for the Territories for of inspectors the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Ordinance and may fix the remuneration to be paid such inspector or inspectors. C.O., c. 17, s. 3.
4. No person holding the office of inspector under the Inspectors to provisions of this Ordinance shall be either directly or indirectly interest in interested in the sale of boilers or steam machinery.
sale of boilers or steam
5. Every inspector appointed under the provisions of this Oath of office Ordinance shall before entering upon the performance of his to be taken duties take and subscribe an oath that he will faithfully and impartially perform the duties of his office. C.O., c. 17, s. 4.
6. For the purpose of seeing that the provisions of this Inspectors Ordinance are complied with any of the inspectors appointed premises under this Ordinance may at any reasonable hour enter upon any lands or into any building where any steam boiler is operated. C.O., c. 17, s. 8 (1).
7. Any person interfering with or obstructing any inspector Obstructing in the performance of his duties under this Ordinance shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding $50. C.O., c. 17, s. 8 (2).
8. Every inspector shall keep a true record of all boilers Record to be inspected and all repairs ordered by him, of all boilers condemned by him as unsafe, of all accidents to boilers in his district whether by explosion or otherwise and of all casualties in connection with boilers in his district. C.O., c. 17, s. 18.
9. Every inspector shall render annually on or before the Annual report thirty-first day of January in each year a concise report to the commissioner of all inspections made by him during the preceding year and of all accidents and casualties that may have happened connected with the operation of steam boilers within his district. C.O., c. 17, s. 19.
10. Any inspector may by notice in writing signed by him Inspector may require the attendance before him at a time and place to be oath named in such notice of any person; and may examine the person so notified to be present on oath regarding any matter connected with the inspection or operation of any boiler or any accident thereto.
(2) Any person wilfully neglecting or refusing in any way to comply with the notice of the inspector or to be examined as aforesaid shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine of $25 and on nonpayment of such fine forthwith after conviction to imprisonment for one month.
Boilers to be inspected annually
INSPECTION OF BOILERS.
11. Every boiler in the Territories shall be inspected at least once in each calendar year by an inspector at such time as the inspector may see fit.
(2) If the owner of any boiler proves to the satisfaction of the inspector that his boiler has not been operated since the date of the previous inspection and is in as good condition as when inspected the inspector may issue a new inspection certificate without inspecting the boiler and may remit the fee for inspection hereinafter provided for. C.O., c. 17, s. 9 (1).
12. Upon completion of his inspection the inspector shall certificate to issue to the owner of the boiler an inspection certificate; and the owner shall pay the inspector a fee of $5 for such inspection and the issue of such certificate.
Operating without inspection certificate
Certain boilers exempted from
(2) Any owner neglecting or refusing to pay the inspector such fee shall be guilty of a breach of this Ordinance.
(3) The inspection fee may be remitted in the case of small boilers operated by private individuals to operate cream separators. C.O., c. 17, s. 9 (2.)
13. The inspection certificate shall be exposed in a conspicuous place in the boiler or engine room of every stationary boiler and shall be produced at any time by the owner or operator of any portable boiler upon demand of the inspector.
(2) Any owner refusing or neglecting to post up or produce the inspection certificate shall be guilty of an offence and liable upon summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding $25. C.O., c. 17, s. 9 (3).
14. Any owner who operates a boiler without being in possession of an inspection certificate shall be guilty of an offence and liable upon summary conviction thereof to a penalty of not less than $25 and not more than $100.
15. The provisions of this Ordinance respecting the inspection of boilers shall not apply to any boiler insured and inspected by any duly incorporated boiler insurance company this Ordinance doing business in Canada if the owner or owners of such boiler shall when required by an inspector appointed under the provisions of this Ordinance produce the certificate of inspection for the current year from such company. C.O., c. 17, s. 7.
16. Any boiler declared to be unsafe by an inspector shall not to be used not be used until such repairs as are ordered by the inspector have been made and the certificate required hereunder duly issued; and any person operating a boiler declared to be unsafe by an inspector before the repairs ordered by the inspector are completed and the certificate issued shall be guilty of an offence and upon summary conviction thereof liable to a penalty of $50. C.O., c. 17, s. 13.
or repair may
17. Inspectors shall have the right at all reasonabl hours to Boiler in examine boilers in course of construction or undergoing repair construction and to refuse to grant a certificate of inspection for any be examined boiler found to be improperly constructed or repaired or of which permission to make such inspection has been refused. C.O., c. 17, s. 17.
18. The owner or operator of any steam boiler shall allow Inspector to the inspector free access to the same; and shall furnish water access for and fill the boiler to permit of the hydrostatic test being made and when necessary shall remove any jacket or covering from the boiler as directed by the inspector; he shall also assist the inspector in making his inspection and shall point out any defect that he may know of or believe to exist in the boiler or the machinery connected therewith. C.O., c. 17, s. 16.
(2) Should any owner refuse or neglect to furnish the neces- Owner or sary water and fill the boiler for inspection the inspector may assist have such work done at the expense of the owner.
19. Every steam boiler shall be provided with a reliable Steam gauge steam gauge of approved make.
(2) Such steam gauge shall be tested by the inspector and set to agree with his standard gauge.
C.O., c. 17, s. 15.
20. Every steam boiler shall be provided with a fusible Provision of plug of good banca tin inserted in the flues or other portion of fusible plug the boiler exposed to heat from the furnace when the water therein falls below the limit allowed by this Ordinance. C.O., c. 17, s. 14.
Provision of lock pop
21. Every boiler shall be provided with a lock pop safety valve of approved make which shall be set by the inspector at safety valve the time of his inspection and properly locked and sealed.
(2) Any person removing, destroying or in any way interfering with the lock or sealing device on any lock pop safety valve after it has been locked and sealed by an inspector shall be guilty of an offence and liable upon summary conviction thereof to a penalty of $50.
22. Every owner of a boiler shall at once report to the Owner to nearest inspector any accident or casualty which may happen accidents in connection with the operation of his boiler; and any owner who neglects to so notify the inspector shall be guilty of an offence and liable upon summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding $10.
23. In inspecting boilers as herein provided the inspectors Duties of shall
(a) Satisfy themselves by a thorough examination inside and out that the boilers are properly constructed and of good and suitable material;