Page images


under guard near Division Headquarters. One of them got away by some trick last night, but was retaken in trying to crawl through the picket line. Truly the way of the transgressor is hard, even in Georgia.

2. Major Sullivant made to Adjutant General Cowen the following historic report of the 113th:



Sir-Accompanying you will find the complete muster rolls of this regiment, in compliance with Gov. Brough's order of February 19th.

The organization of this regiment was commenced in August, 1862, at Camp Chase. proceeded slowly, however, for some time, and in October we were ordered to Camp Zanesville to fill up our ranks. We remained there until December 14th, when we were ordered to Camp Dennison, numbering at that time thirty-two commissioned officers and seven hundred and twenty-one enlisted

The 109th O. V. I. was then consolidated with the 113th, giving us an additional company. On the 28th of December we were transferred to Louisville, Ky., numbering thirty-five commissioned officers and eight hundred and fifty-seven enlisted men. On the 5th of January, 1863, we removed by rail to Muldraugh Hill, Ky., where we remained guarding the railroad bridge until the 27th of January, when we moved back to Louisville and embarked on the steamer St. Patrick, for Nashville. Owing to the crowded condition of the boat, the voyage was very unpleasant, and the health of the regiment suffered to such an extent that it has even now scarcely recovered from its effects. Nashville was reached February 8th, whence we soon proceeded to Franklin, Tenn., and on the 13th of February went into camp. We remained there several months, occasionally exchanging the quiet of camp life for a scout or a long march in anticipation of meeting ihe enemy.

When Earl Van Dorn made so determined an attack upon our forces at that place, the regiment was ordered to Triune, on the 2d of June, 1863, and on the 24th of that month, in company with the entire Army of the Cumberland, we took up our line of march toward Rebeldom, and participated in the trying scenes of the successful “ Tullahoma Campaign.” Our brigade formed a portion of the right wing of the army, and, although it was not our fortune to be. come actively engaged, we endured with all necessary fortitude the exposures and severities of the march, and entered Shelbyville ,on the ist of July, and viewed the waving of Union banners and shouts of welcome from the noble population of that celebrated Union town. We encamped at that place, and remained until August uth, when we were ordered to Wartrace to guard the Nashville & Chattanooga railroad. Thence we commenced marching on the 5th of September toward Chattanooga, and participated in the severe hardships of the Chickamauga Campaign, marching day and night for three weeks over rough mountain roads and across numerous streams, and making frequent recon. noissances toward the enemy's position. Finally, on the afternoon of Sunday, September 20th, in company with two brigades of our corps (the reserve corps),

we were precipitated upon the hosts of the enemy, who were advancing in a vast army to overwhelm our left and destroy the army. Public opinion, as well as official reports, give to the force of which we formed a part, the credit of having that day saved the army from a terrible disaster.

We took into action an aggregate of four hundred and ten officers and men, Our loss was: Killed--officers, 4; men, 19; wounded officers, 2 ; men, 103 ; missing men, 19

After the battle the regiment retired with the army to Chattanooga, and there remained during the siege by Bragg's army. What the Army of the Cumberland suffered during that time for want of food and clothing is now a matter of histrry, and unnecessary for the annalist of a single regiment to dilate upon. In the battle of Mission Ridge, November 23d, our div on, (we having been transferred to the 2d Brigade, 2d Division, 14th Army Corps,) was held in reserve under General Sherman, and after the battle led in pursuit of the enemy, with whose rear guard we had a sharp contest, on the afternoon of the 26th, near Chickamauga Station.

After the rebels were driven below Dalton, Sherman's column was ordered by General Grant to march to the relief of Burnside, whom the latest reports represented as besieged by Longstreet, with only a small supply of provisions on hand. Burnside reported that he could only hold out until the 3d of December. This gave our forces about four days to reach him, but the necessity was urgent, and the troops willingly undertook the forced marches necessary to succor the army at Knoxville, although in clothing they were entirely unprepared for such a journey, and had started from Chattanooga with only two day's rations. The weather was extremely cold, and large numbers of the men were barefooted, and, as we were forced to depend upon the country through which we marched for provisions, the privations and sufferings of the men were probably unexampled in the history of this war, Upon our arrival at the little Tennessee, within twenty miles of Knoxville, news was received that Longstreet had retreated. We were therefore directed to retrace our steps, and finally reached our olii camps at Chattanooga on the 20th of December, having been constantly on the move for four weeks On the 2d of January, 1864, we were transferred to the camp we now occupy, where we have since remained, with the exception of an occasional fortnight's absence guarding some railroad station in the vicinity, or taking part in a reconnoissance toward the enemy's position at Dalton.

The tenth company (K), having been recruited under authority of the Governor, was completed about the 1st of March, and at that time the regiment numbered : Commissioned officers, twenty-six; enlisted men, seven hundred and five. The regiment is in excellent health and condition, and ready to do good service to the country in the approaching campaigns. Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Major Commanding 113th Ohio Volunteers.

“ It was

4. Green was on picket in the rain last night. He says: so dark I could not keep my beat, and the rain fell in torrents. I leaned against a tree and took it like an ox. Oh! didn't I love my country about then?"

Captain Bowersock returned from his furlough yesterday. Captain Benjamin, Company B, came in also. The latter was wounded at Chickamauga, and this is the first we have seen of him since that day. We are glad to see them both.

5. Have been on regimental guard, Lieutenant Baxter being officer of the guard. Two men of Company C were drunk and noisy. Lieutenant B. and I tied them both to trees, with a bayonet in the mouth of each. They remained tied till the effects of the whisky abated and they became quiet. This created not a little excitement in camp, and resistance was threatened, but none offered.

6. One of the men who created the trouble yesterday was again tied up. This time he was placed on his back with his feet tied on either side of a big stump, where he remained till the spirits left him. These men are recruits and have not yet had their breaking-in.

7. John Craig and John G. Ganson reached the regiment to-day and will be assigned to Company E. Lieutenant Colonel Warner, who has been for some time past in command of the Third Ohio, has returned to the regiment and will be in command. M. L. Stratton and Isaac Green visited the battlefield of Chickamauga to-day, and this evening have much to say of what they saw. The quarters of Company K were partially destroyed by fire.

9. Henry Dewitt and I went to Chattanooga on some business. Sent $30 to Mrs. A. Cleveland for Lieutenant Geo. H. Lippincott.

11. D. H. Chatfield, who has been on recruiting service in Ohio since October, joined his company to-day. He left a corporal, but returns a second lieutenant. The duties of the day closed with dress parade, prayer meeting and a dance.

15. The chaplain, assisted by a number of the soldiers, has erected a bower church by planting a lot of pine bushes in a square, about 25 by 25 feet. A brush roof is constructed over the whole, which gives it a verdant, cozy appearance. Meetings of considerable interest are being held here of evenings. Half mile southeast of us stands McAfee's Chapel, a former place of worship. This building is now full of army stores, consisting of bread, meat, coffee, salt, candles, kraut, vinegar, and whisky. Captain Orr has charge of these supplies.

16. Captain Chas. P. Garman and Lieutenants Crouse and Duncan returned to duty to-day, having been at home on furlough for some time.

17. Robert Doak of the Sixty-sixth, Bennett and Hunter of the Second-all Champaign county boys--visited friends in our regiment. The Second is at Graysville.

26. The time drags heavily. During the past ten days the monotony of duties has been almost distressing. However, we are that much nearer the end of the war, and that much nearer our respective destinies. General Davis, our division commander, has issued an order prohibiting enlisted men from wearing boots in our future movements. Fortunately for me I sold to Lieutenant Kile my $8 boots some days ago, but Green has an expensive pair on hands (feet), which he says will not be thrown away to comply with the order of anybody. Many of the men have boots that have cost high prices, and to be compelled to abandon them and wear shoes will be next to an outrage.

I notice that General Davis wears boots. The weather for some time past has been warm and spring-like, and the men insist on drilling without their blouses. Of course this was not granted. Lieutenant Colonel Warner has ordered that all lights be extinguished in our quarters immediately after taps, and that no men be allowed to roam through camp at late hours.

All persons using profane and obscene language, or who are found creating disturbance in camp, are to be reported to their company commanders. This is as it should be, but some of the men complain loudly of it.

Springtime is upon us, but there has been no plowing done in all this country, nor will there be. The farmers are nearly all from home; those who are at home have no teams nor seed. The citizens have been getting their living of our government for months. When the army goes forward from here their case will be pitiable.

The evening meetings at the bower church continue and the interest increases. Chaplain Morris is untiring in his zeal to fit the men for a better life. Twenty-two men rose to their feet, in one of the meetings, expressing a desire to lead new lives. 30. The end of our stay at Rossville approaches.

We instructed to send home or abandon all surplus baggage, and a large number of boxes and packages are now at headquarters to be shipped to the North. Officers are allowed only a change of clothing, and the men will not be permitted to carry heavy knapsacks.

This afternoon I went to Chattanooga to express some goods belonging to men of Company E. We were mustered for pay.

are men.

MAY, 1864. 1. Sunday. Every preparation is being completed for moving, and it is understood that this is our last day in camp at Rossville.

We came here the day after Christmas, and though our stay in this camp has been mainly comfortable, it has, of late, been very monotonous, and the troops have become restless and want to be doing something. The prospect of entering upon a campaign against the enemy, and of penetrating further and further into his country, has a fascination in it for the soldiers, and they are in fine spirits to-day. Chaplain Morris preached morning and evening, and the exercises were well attended and full of interest.

2. The Second Division filed out of camp at half past eight this morning, heading southeasterly. I confess to a feeling of regret in leaving "Metropolitan Hall." I may never again sleep under its rude but friendly roof, nor hear the echo of music within its walls. I must exchange its comforts for the rude life that awaits us on the tented field. The 113th had two hundred and fifty-eight files of men this morning, and her total strength is six hundred and seven

The day has been cool and pleasant, with a shower in the forenoon. We reached Ringgold at 3 P. M. and pitched tents near the Chickamauga, nearly a mile from the town. During the evening many of us visited and explored a cave in the vicinity of camp. We learn that our entire


is here. 5. Yesterday and the day before was spent quietly resting in our camp, where we halted on the 2d. The men cut down large chestnut trees, and peeling the bark from the logs in great strips, spread it on a platform of poles for a bed, leaving the raw or flesh side of the bark up. The owner of this forest will not need to cut down any rail timber for some time.

The Division moved at 6 o'clock A. M., passing through Ringgold and beyond Thoroughfare Gap, filed into line, stacked arms and rested. Here, seated on my knapsack, I wrote a letter to my wife. The circumstances were so peculiar that the dimness that seemed to obscure the lines on my paper could not be attributed to age, for I am not yet twenty-six. During the day we received mail, and my share was a letter containing the picture of my wife and our boy. These must go with me to the end. The Fourth, Fourteenth, Twentieth, and Tweniy-third corps are now here. Our advance has confronted the enemy during the day, and the booming cannon has echoed over hill, ridge and valley.

« EelmineJätka »