Page images
[ocr errors][merged small][graphic]

Princess Charlotti and Prince Teopold, Finding Dame-Bewley at her Cottage Foer reading her old_Priblé.

Braun at the Authors besit to Crement with

Publish'd by Nuttall. Fisher & Disen, Liverpool. Feb 188.



resident Physician of Prince Leopold. She consulted these Gentlemen on the management of her health, and, by their direction, being of a plethoric habit, was repeatedly bled, and advised to take little animal food or wine. At the request of the Queen, who visited the Princess a few days before Her Majesty left Town for Bath, Sir Richard Croft took up his residence at Claremont, three weeks prior to the labour, and continually paid the most sedulous and unremitting attention to his lovely and interesting charge. The Nurse, Mrs. Griffiths, who came to reside at Claremont, on the first of October, by the particular desire of the Princess Charlotte, had been just five weeks in attendance when the labour commenced, which was first announced by the following letter in the public papers:

"Claremont, Tuesday, Nov. 4.

"At a late hour last night, the Princess Charlotte became indisposed, and, at three o'clock, Dr. Sir Richard Croft pronounced the near approach of Her Royal Highness's accouchement. A number of servants, who have been for some time kept in close attendance, in their riding-dresses, and their horses in readiness for them to mount, were, in consequence, dispatched at a quarter-past three o'clock, in various directions, to summon the different Privy Counsellors, who were, according to Court etiquette, to attend. Dr. Baillie was also sent for, to give his advice, if necessary.

"Directions were given to the Messengers to make all possible speed, which they strictly attended to; and those who went to London, which is sixteen miles from Claremont, reached Town in an hour and a quarter. The Footman even went to the Lord Chancellor's, in Bedford Square.

"The first of the Privy Counsellors who arri@ed was Earl Bathurst, who came from his seat at Putney, where the Noble Earl had kept his carriage and horses in readiness to put to for some time past. The Footman went to Putney, and returned in forty minutes; and Earl Bathurst arrived at a quarter-past five o'clock. "Viscount Sidmouth, who had also made every necessary pre


paration to be present at a short notice, arrived from Richmond Park at a quarter before six.

"The Archbishop of Canterbury and the Bishop of London arrived in the Bishop of London's carriage and four, from Fulham, at six o'clock.

"The Archbishop of Canterbury had been waiting on a visit to the Bishop of London during the last three weeks, in expectation of being summoned to attend the Royal accouchement, Fulham being so many miles nearer to Claremont than the residence of his Grace. The Chancellor of the Exchequer arrived in a chariot and four from his house in Downing Street, at half-past seven o'clock. e Lord Chancellor arrived in a chaise and four at a quarter berore eight, from his house in Bedford Square. Dr. Baillie arrived in his chariot and four, at a quarter-past seven o'clock, from his house at Virginia Waters.

"Prince Leopold has passed the day in the greatest anxiety in the house, as well as all the royal attendants and domestics, with the State Officers and others in attendance. In the neighbouring towns and villages the most lively interest has been excited, and the most earnest inquiries have been made during the day. The travellers through Esher have generally stopped to make their respectful inquiries: the Bear Inn, where most of the stage-coaches stop, has been thronged; the first and principal object of their inquiry was the welfare of the Princess. At Kingston, though only five miles from Claremont, it was falsely rumoured and believed, early in the morning, that the Princess had been safely delivered of a son; and the inhabitants were so elated on the occasion, that the bells were about to be set a-ringing, and preparations were made for illuminating to-night. The Mayor, however, prudently interfered, and prevented the ringing of the bells till he received a confirmation of the joyful event from authority; and dispatched the High Constable for that purpose, on whose arrival at Claremont, and making the necessary inquiry, he was informed the wished-for event had not taken place."

“Four o'clock, P. M.—The last report of Sir Richard Croft to the Privy Counsellors, assembled upon the occasion, was, 'The progress of Her Royal Highness the Princess Charlotte's illness is, in every respect, as favourable as he could possibly wish."

All the distinguished Personages above enume

rated were assembled in the Library, a spacious and elegant room adjoining the apartment where the Princess lay. In the course of Tuesday, as the Princess made but little progress in her labour, and manifested some symptoms of an alarming nature, in the evening, Sir Richard Croft and Dr. Baillie agreed to send for Dr. Sims, the celebrated accoucheur, who arrived at Claremont about three o'clock on Wednesday morning, and, in conjunc tion with the other Physicians in attendance, issued the following Bulletin, which all the Great Officers of State there present, in their capacity of Privy Counsellors, concurred in drawing up:

"Claremont, Wednesday Morning, Eight o'clock.

"The labour of Her Royal Highness the Princess Charlotte is going on very slowly, but we trust favourably.

[blocks in formation]

The solicitude of the puoic mind was exceedingly great during the whole of Wednesday, which, though no danger was distinctly apprehended, was passed in a state of the most fearful anxiety; it was, however, rather relieved by the following Bulletins :

[ocr errors]

At four o'clock, the answer to the inquiries of the Privy Counsellors was," Her Royal Highness is going on in a much more favourable way. An hour and a half afterwards another Bulletin was 'ssued.

"Claremont, Nov. 5, 1817, Half-past Five, P. M,

"The labour of Her Royal Highness the Princess Charlotte has, within the last three or four hours, considerably advanced, and

« EelmineJätka »