« EelmineJätka »
6. The brave do never shun the light;
Just are their thoughts, and open are their tempers;
8. A man of sense can artifice disdain,
7. "T is great, 't is manly to disdain disguise; It shows our spirit, or it proves our strength. YOUNG'S Night Thoughts.
ASSASSINATION - MURDER.
1. Will all Neptune's ocean wash this blood
Clear from my hand? No, this my hand will rather
Making this green one, red.
The great King of kings
YOUNG'S Love of Fame.
That thou shalt do no murder; wilt thou then
3. The tyrannous and bloody act is done; The most arch deed of piteous massacre That ever yet this land was guilty of.
4. Though in the trade of war I have slain men,
5. See his face is black and full of blood;
ASSOCIATES - COMPANY.
6. Blood, though it sleeps a time, yet never dies; The gods on murd'rers fix revengeful eyes.
7. Murder itself is past all expiation,
Is there a crime
Beneath the roof of heaven, that stains the soul
9. Cease, triflers; would have me feel remorse,
I think thou wilt forgive him, whom his God
Are often welcomest when they are gone.
Oh! thou dead
And everlasting witness! whose unsinking
2. So lilies in a glass enclose
The glass will seem as white as those.
4. Then must I plunge again into the crowd
5. Then as we never met before, and never,
BYRON'S Childe Harold.
6. Like the stain'd web, that whitens in the sun, Grow pure by being purely shone upon.
With wild surprise,
As if to marble struck, devoid of sense,
MOORE'S Lalla Rookh.
Pierc'd by severe amazement, hating life,
3. Were his eyes open? Yes, and his mouth too;—
BYRON'S Don Juan.
4. A war-horse, at the trumpet's sound,
BYRON's Bride of Abydos.
1. How many great ones may remember'd be,
Which in their days most famously did flourish,
No gentle wits, through pride or covetize,
Which might their names for ever memorize!
He that writes,
SIR R. HOWARD.
3. Much thou hast said, which I know when
4. Authors are judg'd by strange capricious rules;
For fools are only laugh'd at-wits are hated.
5. Some write, confin'd by physic; some, by debt;
6. None but an author knows an author's cares, Or Fancy's fondness for the child she bears.
7. Our doctor thus, with stuff'd sufficiency
8. One hates an author that's all author, fellows
Of coxcombry's worst coxcombs, e'en the pink
AUTUMN -SPRING-WINTER, &c.
1. Perceivest thou not the process of the year,